New Contributor

cutting back ornamental grasses

Hello, I am wondering if I need to cut back my ornamental grasses. I ordered the pink ornamental grasses last year. They are starting to show green, but am I supposed to cut back the dried portion from last year?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: cutting back ornamental grasses

Here you go ... Deciduous grasses, which turn a golden, straw brown rather than necessarily loose their leaves, need different treatment from those with are evergreen. Deciduous grasses Some deciduous species, for example Calamagrostis × acutiflora 'Karl Foerster' and Deschampsia cespitosa 'Goldtau' should be trimmed to ground level before growth starts in early spring. Other deciduous grasses, such as Pennisetum orientale, do not produce new growth until later in the season. The culms (old stems) will protect the crown, so delay clipping these types until late April Pruning late (mid-March to April) is also appropriate for Miscanthus, which has structural stems that persist over the winter. These should be pruned away individually with secateurs to ensure the new, green shoots are not cut off in the process Stipa tenuissima is classed as deciduous but in some gardens performs more as an evergreen. If the build up of dead material is low, treat as for evergreens by simply combing out the loose foliage. Alternatively, and for plants with a lot of dead, cut back fully in spring Evergreen grasses Small evergreen grasses, such as Festuca glauca, can be trimmed in spring Remove any brown tips and cut back the dead leaves that usually collect around the base Evergreen grasses such as sedges (Carex and Luzula) are not cut back completely like deciduous grasses. Spent flowering stalks can be cut off, and any unsightly scorched or diseased leaves can be removed individually Once the clump outgrows its space, you can divide it as you would any other perennial. Debris can be removed, the area tidied, and mulch and fertiliser spread as for deciduous grasses.

Trusted Contributor

I don't know what kind of grasses you have, and I certainly can't use all the botanical jargon Lilysmom can.........but we cut back our ornamental grasses every spring. The leaves get brown, ragged, and ugly over the cold months, and when they're cut back it makes way for fresh, new spring growth. Get out your weed-whacker and go to town!

Trusted Contributor

We have several types of grasses and every Feb we set them on fire. I know it sounds crazy but it is so much easier than trying to cut them down since they are so large. They burn to the ground in a minute or two and that's it. They come back fuller and more beautiful than ever. You do need to be careful since the flames flare up almost instantly so it's a good idea to have a hose or bucket of water around just in case.

Honored Contributor

...I have heard you can set them on fire as well! It would be easier than cutting, which is a real chore, I may have to try the fire thing next year as I have already cut mine back.

Honored Contributor

We've set ours on fire, they grow straight out of sand, so we don't even have to douse with water. They go out by themselves and it only takes a minute or two.

Ours aren't near the house though.

Honored Contributor

We just got though cutting our down. Its easy and needs to be done NOW.

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

We use the hedge trimmer. Does a good job. The plants are very wide. Soooo much material to get rid of. Ugh!

If you see new growth, you may want to cut just above that so you don't cut of the tips. Next year you can cut down sooner!

Valued Contributor

Now I think I know how I lost my beautiful Zebra grass. I cut it back last fall instead of

waiting till this spring so the roots had no protection. One of them made it, but I have had

to replace the others. Thanks Lilys mom

Esteemed Contributor

Should say source of my info on grasses is from google. Love ornamental grasses. Got to say though that when I first planted them in my garden I wondered if they would ever grow again because they looked so dead!!! Happy gardening friends.