Frequent Contributor

Help With Potted Flowers, Please

Good Morning Everyone,

I must admit - I lack a green thumb but I want to learn and came here for some help. I have a few planters that I'd like to add some flowers to and place outside for spring/summer. I need color but don't have the ground space, so planters will have to do. Thing is, I have no idea which flowers to put in these planters. I would like annuals - that way I won't feel bad getting rid of them in the fall. The only annual flower I know of is the gerber daisy. I've done some on-line research, but that's only confused me more. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I'm all ears. Thanks for reading.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Help With Potted Flowers, Please

Annuals are wonderful, easy, no-regrets plants for containers and designing with them is fun!

What's your zone (where do you live) and is the area where the container will live full sun (8 hours of direct sun), part-sun (4-6 hours of sun either in the morning or the afternoon) or shade (no direct sun)?

Also, how large are your planters (18, 20, 24, 28 inches around)?

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Frequent Contributor

Thanks so much! We are in Eastern Pennsylvania. I would say the area where the planters are going will be pretty much full sun. I may put a planter or 2 in an area that only gets partial sun. And the planters are 8 inch planters, but I have 5 of them! I want to add a splash of color to several areas so I went with a smaller planter. Thanks for the reply - I look forward to any and all suggestions!

Honored Contributor

Wave Petunias are very easy to grow and bloom all season!

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/22/2014 LuvMyBoyz said:

Thanks so much! We are in Eastern Pennsylvania. I would say the area where the planters are going will be pretty much full sun. I may put a planter or 2 in an area that only gets partial sun. And the planters are 8 inch planters, but I have 5 of them! I want to add a splash of color to several areas so I went with a smaller planter. Thanks for the reply - I look forward to any and all suggestions!

Well, first let me caution you that an 8-inch pot will dry out quickly; expect to water at least once a day during the heat of summer.

Second, you will not get more than one plant in a pot without it quickly becoming root bound; makes it easy to plant, but you won't get a layered look in a container. You'll be missing the "spiller, filler, thriller" look that you'd get with a larger container.

Wave petunias are a good suggestion. I'd also look at Million Bells (Calabrachoa); geraniums (I love the combo of blue wave petunia and white geranium); the "Profusion" series of zinnia. You'll need a few containers with some height so look at "Victoria Blue" salvia or even a lavender which you can treat as an annual.

Have fun!

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

Geraniums (the ones sold as annuals also known as pelargoniums not the perennial geraniums) would be a good choice for an eight inch planter in full sun in Eastern PA. They're readily available, low cost, durable, largely pest free, easy to care for, and lovely. Wave petunias will also thrive in an eight inch pot, but their spreading habit (up to three feet) may make them a bit awkward unless the pots are elevated. Gerbera daisies are another fine choice as are African daisies. For season long flowering though it's hard to beat the geraniums and they come in a remarkable variety of colors any more. Just be careful not to buy a Martha Washington Geranium. While they're beautiful in the spring they like cooler weather and will stop flowering in the heat of summer. Once nights get above 55 degrees they shut down.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Frequent Contributor

Wow! Thank you all so much for the great suggestions. I've written down the names and plan to go to the nursery today. You mention that the flowers will dry out quickly in an 8 inch planter... to avoid this, could I get a planter that does NOT drain? Would it keep moisture if it wasn't able to drain, thus not having to water as often? Sorry, these may be silly questions, but I'm very new to this. Thanks again - I really appreciate the help.

Honored Contributor

First, you'll want to decide where you want to place your pots ie sun, partial shade or full shade. Then if you really don't know what to plant, just go to a neighborhood (good) nursery or garden center and chat it up with someone who works there. Tell them what kind of plants you need and they'll steer you in the right direction. You can get ideas on you color scheme(s) as well.

Happy planting!

Super Contributor

Good Morning Everyone,

I must admit - I lack a green thumb but I want to learn and came here for some help. I have a few planters that I'd like to add some flowers to and place outside for spring/summer. I need color but don't have the ground space, so planters will have to do. Thing is, I have no idea which flowers to put in these planters. I would like annuals - that way I won't feel bad getting rid of them in the fall. The only annual flower I know of is the gerber daisy. I've done some on-line research, but that's only confused me more. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I'm all ears. Thanks for reading.

I saw that you are in eastern Pennsylvania. Contact your county Penn State Extension office. Every county in Pennsylvania has one. They will have Master Gardener volunteers available who will be able to give you good, sound advice on what to plant, when to plant and how to care for them once they're planted.

Honored Contributor

Wow! Thank you all so much for the great suggestions. I've written down the names and plan to go to the nursery today. You mention that the flowers will dry out quickly in an 8 inch planter... to avoid this, could I get a planter that does NOT drain? Would it keep moisture if it wasn't able to drain, thus not having to water as often? Sorry, these may be silly questions, but I'm very new to this. Thanks again - I really appreciate the help.

Bad idea as the continuously wet soil will cause the roots to rot. Pots dry out much quicker than plants in the soil because the air surrounding the pot causes the soil to dry out.

Daily watering of pots that have a drainage hole on the bottom (tip out the saucer of excess water so the excess doesn't wick back up through the soil again) is a given during the summer months. Sometimes depending on where the pots are located, you may have to water in the morning and the early evening (avoiding the leaves getting wet). Aim your watering can spout if possible at the soil.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼