Occasional Contributor

I need some ideas for deer resistant plants. Full sun in one area and in the other area it is partial shade w/afternoon sun. The deer are completely destroying everything. My hostas are just coming up and I suspect they will be eaten down to the nub within a week. I even came home to find the deer in the act of eating my rose bush last year, which was covered in thorns! I used to really like deer...before I realized they are out to get me. Any help would be appreciated!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Need deer resistant plants!

Good luck..they love salad bar at my house!

Honored Contributor

I live in southern WV, and our deer will eat anything. The only thing that works to keep them off our property and away from our plants is pellets and buckshot.

Esteemed Contributor

Your best bet may be to search the internet. There are a few plants that are deer resistant ~

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Super Contributor

Generally, deer do not like Lavender, Nepeta, and Perovskia. All of those are easily available at garden centers and bloom in full or partial sun. My parents have very aggressive deer, and those are the only flowering plants that I can plant that they don't eat.

Honored Contributor

You need deer fencing around your property. Look on the internet for various kinds of deer fencing.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Dear Kwish,

I sympathize with you. I've lived in my home in the woods for 27 years. We have plenty of deer and other wild life and until two years ago were very fortunate in having the deer leave my plantings untouched.

Seems to me one of them discovered all my plants and told the others. Giant Hosta I've had growing for over 10 years were eaten to the ground. They never before bothered my day lilies or rudbeckia. So I am on a search for a product to deter them. I am always home and rarely am able to catch them in the act. I am holding off any new planting until I can discover something that deters them. Seems the only things they haven't eaten is hydrangea, grasses, and some shrubbery. There is no way I can afford to erect deer fencing, we have over 4 acres.

Respected Contributor

rabbits do the same in my yard. Out of about one hundred crocuses, there were two blooms this year. They chewed everything to within one inch of the ground. I give up. I just went out yesterday and tore every last one out of the ground. I will continue removing the plants that they love, until there is no more reason to come to my yard, any more. {#emotions_dlg.sad} Tulips and azaleas are another of their favorites. Then there are scabiosa, mallow, showy primrose, purple grape hyacinth, day lilies, and of course many annuals, the bark of; roses, euonymus, rose of sharon, and verbena. I will have very little left. They have destroyed a rather large investment that I had made in my gardens.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks to everyone. Deer fencing around the property is not an option right now due to the cost, although it might be coming down to doing just that if we have another bad year. The amount I have spent on wasted plants/flowers over the years probably surpass that amount anyway!

We have only been in the house for 3 years. The first year I planted about 80 bulbs, the first year I had a garden full of beautiful tulips. I have never seen them again Smiley Sad I have also tried lavender but had no luck with growing that, although I am going to try again this year.

My child had a project at school and we needed to plant a cabbage plant today. I just went to the store and bought Irish Spring soap, I read a few things on Pinterest about putting shavings out to deter them, as well as planting marigolds. I'm going to give both a shot and see what happens. I obviously put fencing up around the cabbage. It will be nothing short of a miracle if that plants survives. Fingers crossed!

Respected Contributor

kwish, I have heard the presence of human scent might help. Some people collect the cut hair from their hair dressers shops and spread it on the ground around their plants.