Respected Contributor

Before you start digging in the garden....

This time last year I went for my physical and started talking about my gardening projects. Doctor strongly suggested I get a more current tetanus shoot as soil contains potential hazards, especially if you have or get a cut. So get current with your shot and enjoy the outside !!!
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Contributor

Re: Before you start digging in the garden....

thanks!

Respected Contributor

Yes, thanks! I always look like something the cat dragged in after a day gardening. Sometimes I'm down in the woods or wandering thru brambles. Got a routine doctor's appointment coming up and will talk with him about it.

Esteemed Contributor

If I can just add, also before digging in the garden, please call you state's One Call or Dig Safe line and get your utilities marked, so you don't cut a line.

In most states you can just dial 811. The marking is a free service to callers. The utility companies pay for it, it's cheaper than repairing damaged line.Smile

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

Using gloves helps too.

Respected Contributor

And wear gloves, gauntlets if you are dealing with roses or sticker bushes, and do not garden barefoot. Wear a hat and sunscreen.

I need that tetanus shot.

Respected Contributor

On 4/18/2014 betteb said:

If I can just add, also before digging in the garden, please call you state's One Call or Dig Safe line and get your utilities marked, so you don't cut a line.

In most states you can just dial 811. The marking is a free service to callers. The utility companies pay for it, it's cheaper than repairing damaged line.Smile

Yes, great service they provide. We've done that several times. Just last year had some french drains placed and had the utility lines marked.

Respected Contributor

Also protect yourself against lyme disease, which is on the rise. I wish they would bring back a vaccine.

Honored Contributor

Tetanus shots are good for only 10 years and the reason you should be up to date on this vaccination is because the tetanus germ lives in the soil.

I always wear gloves when I am gardening.

Our local TV news channel here said that with ticks being prevalent to spray yourself with an insect repellent that contains at least 20% DEET.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Yes, using a repellent is a must for me I am a magnet for insects. I've already stocked up. I don't remember when my last tetanus shot was, so that probably means I'm overdue. Got an appointment in a couple of weeks and will get one.