Respected Contributor

Sun Patients from Cottage Farms

I must say I have not have very good luck with their plants. The were shipped to me much too early, the ground was still frozen and half the plants were dead. The Sun Inpatients look very pretty. Just a few questions, can they take hot sun all day as I would like to plant them around our deck and pool. Also do they really get that big during the season. Sometimes what they show on air is deceiving.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Sun Patients from Cottage Farms

These are so gorgeous and tempting. If you read the reviews, like everything else, some rave and some rant. I chose to pass because it seems a little risky and those shipping charges are way high. I bought some when they were new in my area and they didn't do well at all in my full sun. You can try them and see what happens in your full sun area. They just might be perfect, if you water and feed them like they say you should.

Trusted Contributor

Here in Texas my sun patients will wilt in the hot sun. I would have to water them 2 or 3 times a day (if not more) to bring them back. Not what I wanted to deal with so now I only grow mine in containers. Mine never look like the ones Phillip shows but I heard him say that the sun patients are heavy feeders, so I will be feeding them more this year. Maybe I'll get plants like his. I wouldn't buy any from QVC, the plants are too small, plus I only want two which I just got at Home Depot. Good luck if you try them.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for your responses. Seems like they are high maintenance. I don't mind watering plants once a day, but that is it. I guess I will pass. Glad I asked. I will just shop my local nursery when the weather cooperates.

Honored Contributor

On 4/18/2014 luvpoos said:

Thanks for your responses. Seems like they are high maintenance. I don't mind watering plants once a day, but that is it. I guess I will pass. Glad I asked. I will just shop my local nursery when the weather cooperates.

Look for Sun Patiens at your local nurseries and look at something called flowering vinca or as its commonly called Madagascar periwinkle--comes in a bunch of colors with different colored 'eyes' in the center and from a distance-- across the street-- looks like you planted impatiens in full sun. I usually get them for my Southern exposure and they do beautifully all summer long.

Here is a photo of representative plants:

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Contributor

sorry to be picky but the spelling of this flower is SunPatiens and Impatiens

Frequent Contributor

I bought them the first year they were offered and have them on order now. I thought they were wonderful! I planted some in the ground and some in pots. They got very hot afternoon sun and did great. They also got very full.

Trusted Contributor

On 4/18/2014 JEHART said:

sorry to be picky but the spelling of this flower is SunPatiens and Impatiens

LOL, I didn't know how to spell it, so I just copied luvpoos. So now I know to drop that last "t"

Jazz, I just picked up some Vinca the other day, although I seem to be having trouble spelling these pretty plants, I thought it was Vica. Nice to know they will flower all summer. My impatiens would bloom until our 2nd frost - that is, until the trouble with them started, so I didn't buy any this year.

Thanks for the spelling lessonsSmile