Esteemed Contributor
I don't have much luck with them and don't know if it's me or them. I've planted them in sunken pots and wire cages (not at the same time) to keep them from being eaten. I've bought perennial tulips. This year I have three blooming...and I'm excited!! I planted more than that two years ago. Are tulips something that have to be planted every year foe a good showing? Are perennial tulips really perennial?
Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Most gardeners consider tulips to be annuals because they bloom nicely the first year they are in the ground and the following years seem to get less and less in your beds.

The better and more reliable tulips (likely to come back year after year) are the Darwin series and the species tulips.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I treat tulips like an annual. In the fall I plant them in three large pots on the patio (with chicken wire over the bulbs to keep the squirrels away) and then plant winter pansies over the top. Right now they are beautiful - I pick a new color scheme every year. In a couple of weeks I will empty the pots and plant geraniums for the summer. I just ordered my bulbs for next year.

Super Contributor
On 4/15/2014 JustJazzmom said:

Most gardeners consider tulips to be annuals because they bloom nicely the first year they are in the ground and the following years seem to get less and less in your beds.

{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

My tulips were always perennials, and got better each year.

Tulips in pots don't seem to do as well.

Honored Contributor

ennui, I know they are perennials but because they are not routinely reliable about coming back in the area you have planted them, most of us consider them annuals to enjoy for that time frame. I've had better luck with daffodils instead of tulips.

A wet winter can also rot out any bulbs in the ground especially if you have clay soils.

Respected Contributor

I have some that were planted as bulbs fifteen years back that still come up and bloom. Some bulbs I have planted returned for several years, then quit on me. I do think if one wants a good showing adding more bulbs each year will create that look. Some people fertilize their bulbs when planting, I never have. Planting depth is important, i.e. not planting them too deep. Also have heard that the larger bulbs produce a stronger plant and bigger flower. I have several which were purchased as plants and I put them in ground after they quit blooming.

I am sure there are some master gardeners here who will give you more professional advice than I can.

Honored Contributor

Allegheny is correct-- one other point-- if you buy the potted tulips in the supermarkets-- many are forced so these might come back for you if you plant them in the ground.

I do not advise using bone meal as a fertilizer as it only is phosphorus. A package of bulb food is better to apply when either planting the bulbs initially into the soil (mix it in do not lay it at the bottom of the holes) and you can use bulb food when you see the leaves emerging in the spring.

Trusted Contributor
On 4/15/2014 ennui1 said:
On 4/15/2014 JustJazzmom said:

{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

My tulips were always perennials, and got better each year.

Tulips in pots don't seem to do as well.

This has always been the case for me. Once planted, I have never given them a second thought. I am sure there are some things you could do to make them better. Some bulbs need to be spread out after a few years.
Respected Contributor

I think they wear out eventually. I had gorgeous tulips 28 years ago when I moved into my house. I have very few of them left. I did plant some new ones about 4 years ago and some came up and some didn't. I prefer perennial bushes that cover a bigger area.

Honored Contributor

I use bulbs as the first part of my 'garden show' here. Once they are done, the perennials I have planted with them come out and cover the leaves. Wait till leaves turn brown in the fall before removing the leaves. The bulbs need the green leaves to make food for the subsequent flower in the following year.