Trusted Contributor
My favorite flower is peonies!!!! I have about 7 plants now, as the water from my neighbors sump pump killers off a few. I have never seen a tree peaony. Does anyone here have be,can you grow them in pots???? TIA. Smiley Happy
Super Contributor

Re: Tree Peonies anyone?????

I have many, many tree peonies. I don't think they would be good in pots. They are very nice. I bought most of mine from White Flower Farm (you can Google them), and they have thrived despite my neglect.

Valued Contributor

I have one and its gorgeous. Plant it where it has space because mine is about 4 ft wide.

Honored Contributor

First off, you need a winter so that buds can be formed on the peonies. If you live in the Southern parts of the USA you can forget about them!

They would probably prefer being in the ground than in a pot so their root system can spread out properly. These are not an item you take in and out of your sunroom for the warmer months and then put into storage for the winter months.

There are also new tree peonies called Intersectional peonies which are a cross between tree and herbaceous peonies.

Here is a company that sells tree peonies, herbaceous and the Intersectional ones.

ETA: I've been using this company for over 15 years and have purchased shrubs, perennials and herbaceous peonies from them.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I have not had good luck with tree peonies. I have one in yard that has not died but has not gotten any bigger in 7 years! I originally had three but they slowly bit the dust. I think they are beautiful and worth a try. You may do better than I have!

Trusted Contributor

Thank you all. It does freeze here,as my peonies need it to. I had no idea they got so big,sounds beautiful . Will look up more info on the sites you all sent. sorry about my spelling, I am recovering from major surgery and meds make me stupid,LOL Thanks againSmiley Happy
Honored Contributor

On 4/15/2014 Epicurean said: Thank you all. It does freeze here,as my peonies need it to. I had no idea they got so big,sounds beautiful . Will look up more info on the sites you all sent. sorry about my spelling, I am recovering from major surgery and meds make me stupid,LOL Thanks againSmiley Happy

No problem!! I suggest if you do plant tree peonies to plant them so that the lawn mower doesn't get near them by accident-- use a border around them. I believe they bloom before the herbaceous ones do. Today's weather here in downstate NY would have removed all of the petals of these peonies due to the winds.

Super Contributor

I love them also.

Super Contributor

Some people say PEA ONY but I say PEA A NEEZE.........how do you say this flower?

Honored Contributor

Pea a knee is how I pronounce it.

A friend of mine pronounces it pea oh knee.