Honored Contributor
Yesterday afternoon when I went out I saw a small snow white butterfly or moth flying vigorously around our front porch. This is northern NJ, and it was in the low 50's, still chilly. Could someone please tell me if that pretty little thing was a butterfly or moth?
Trusted Contributor

I have no idea, but I did find this information on this website:

http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/butterflymoth.html

One of the easiest ways to tell the difference between a butterfly and a moth is to look at the antennae. A butterfly’s antennae are club-shaped with a long shaft and a bulb at the end. A moth’s antennae are feathery or saw-edged.

Butterfly:

Moth:

Respected Contributor

When butterflies land, their wings are up. Moths land with their wings open flat to the surface.

Caterpillars go into what is called a "chrysalis" and emerge as butterflies. Most people call it a cocoon, but this is wrong. A chrysalis is like a hard shell.

Other caterpillars go into what is called a "cocoon" and emerge as moths. A cocoon is made of a soft silk. Think of the moths which made silk for clothing.

I have no idea what the butterfly/moth you saw might be, but I know in my area white butterflies are sometimes cabbage butterflies.

Honored Contributor

I saw a white moth outside my kitchen window yesterday, so my guess would be a moth. I think it is still too cool here to see a butterfly just yet.

Esteemed Contributor

violann, it may have been a white sulfur. (butter) Especially if it was during the day. I was wondering a couple weeks ago when I was going to spot them, because we had a couple nice days. You know the warmer weather has trended when you see white sulfurs.

Moths usually come out later towards evening/night.

Honored Contributor
I have learned something new from EACH of you! Many thanks!
Super Contributor

They come from the cabbage worm, which will eat your plants- best to get rid of them in the worm stage!