Honored Contributor
Our campsite in pittsbugh has some of the prettiest flowers and plnts you can imagine.Some previous camper there had wonderful taste in flowers and plants and planted old fashioned flowers you don't see much today - hostas - lilly of the valley- lilac bushes and a multicor Rose of sharon. I understand they are multiple plants all planted close together but it looks like one plant with 3 different color flowers - and since the bees do their thing some of the flowers have elements of more than one. Anyway, the soil is poor there so I want to fertilize and generally use miracle grow which has worked beautifully for everything else but the Rose of Sharon seem to need something different. Any suggestions?
Honored Contributor

When I was a little girl we had a Rose of Sharon and it was lovely. I don't think my Dad did much to it. We have one in our back yard. We like it because it attracts butterflies and humming birds. We fertilize it and trim it but do little else to it. You might try ""googling"" it or asking at a local plant store.

Honored Contributor
This one is quite large - we did trim it last year - and the flowers are pretty amazing as the pinks may have some purple in them or the whites may have pink and / or purple because of those bubble bees doing what they do. i have seen them on QVc selling the three different ones kind braided together to get this effect and I love it! My grandfather loved rose of sharon and he planted some at our pittsburgh house on a hillside - so they remind me of the place that was our home for 28 years and of my dear Grandpa. last year the garden center said Miracle grow but they didn't seem to be any better after feeding than before. Though eventually, after multiple feedings they did bloom well and start to grow . i wonder if we shocked the plant when we cut it back.
Trusted Contributor

I always thought Rose of Sharon was one of those plant 'em and forget 'em trees. They like lots of sun and are the last to get leaves. In my area the Rose of Sharon look dead long after everything else has turned green and bushed out. Then the Rose of Sharon comes to life.

Not applicable

Can anyone post picture of rose of sharon plant as I want to plant this plant in my garden as I have heard that this plant flower is very beautiful but I am not aware of how this plant looks so please help.

north shore

Honored Contributor
On 4/17/2014 WrightVivian said:

Can anyone post picture of rose of sharon plant as I want to plant this plant in my garden as I have heard that this plant flower is very beautiful but I am not aware of how this plant looks so please help.

north shore

Your 'north shore' link is not working. Anyway, this is a photo of a typical Rose of Sharon plant. They do well in either full sun or partial shade-- not deep shade (no or little blooms in that deep shade). Disadvantages: many hardy Hibiscus trees throw off live seedlings and you may be weeding throughout the season when they are in bloom. Mulch doesn't prevent germination of seeds. Only solution is to remove spent flowers before they hit the ground.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Frequent Contributor
My mother-in-law gave me some beatiful Rose of Sharon plants off of hers. I just stuck them in the ground and put mulch around them. They're really doing well and are planted along the west side of my house which gets full sun. I think I put Miracle Grow on them just once and just left them alone. It's funny though, she gave me some other kind of plant from her garden (a crepe myrtle I think) and I can't get them to grow at all!
Esteemed Contributor

I had two Rose of Sharon's that I finally dug up. That being said, I did nothing special and they grew like weeds. HH, I remember you posting about the one at the campsite last year and I sent you a picture of the three flowered one from the internet. You were excited to learn that they really do exist. At any rate, I do not think any harm could be done by adding some compost and an organic fertilizer around the plant (a fertilizer that is for flowering shrubs).

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Super Contributor

I have a Rose of Sharon called Blue Hibiscus. It is blue with a deep purple center. Gorgeous and I really don't do much to it.

Honored Contributor
On 4/17/2014 michlynn said: My mother-in-law gave me some beatiful Rose of Sharon plants off of hers. I just stuck them in the ground and put mulch around them. They're really doing well and are planted along the west side of my house which gets full sun. I think I put Miracle Grow on them just once and just left them alone. It's funny though, she gave me some other kind of plant from her garden (a crepe myrtle I think) and I can't get them to grow at all!

If you are from Michigan, they will not grow there-- its too cold for crepe myrtles to survive.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼