New Contributor

plants that can withstand exreme winds..

WinkI'm wanting to plant something on the south side of my house (solid brick)..I live in the panhandle of OK there is no shade over there and it is extremely windy. Any suggestions would be appreciated..Thank you

Honored Contributor

Re: plants that can withstand exreme winds..

I live in high desert and we get extreme winds, especially this time of year. On the West side of my house in full sun, I've had good luck with butterfly bush and Rose of Sharon (hearty hibiscus). I also have had luck with ornamental grasses and yupon holly which can be grown as a bush or small tree (grows wild in Texas).
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
New Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}I will check these out, kachina624...thank you so much for the response!

Frequent Contributor

I would also suggest ornamental grasses if you want plants that do not require a lot of upkeep. I live in CT and have several in the backyard border. There are many varieties and they also change color during the seasons. They do withstand a lot of wind and look so pretty when they do catch the breeze. If you cut them back about 12 inches from the ground after the last frost, they really grow quickly and beautifully each year.

Respected Contributor

As you drive or walk around your neighborhood, look at what others have used in the same circumstances.

New Contributor

thank you for the ""ornamental grass"" suggestion...I think that's what I will do and a tree out in front...we had a huge tree before but a wind storm up rooted it...thanks everyone for the great help!

Super Contributor

I'm in the windy high desert too. I plant Euryop bushes, green bush with yellow flowers, they're pretty hardy, not sure about how they'd fare in snow. Dusty Millers are able to take the wind here, has green silvery leaves, it's a bushy plant as well.
Honored Contributor

When I saw the title I thought ""Probably lives in Oklahoma!""

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Dawnald. I live in zone 5. I have a sunny bank that is also very windy. One of my favorite plants for that location is Russian Sage. It is willowy in the wind and a beautiful purple color. It looks great with ornamental grass. Good luck with your choices. High wind does present challenges. Google Russian Sage. It's gorgeous. LM

Esteemed Contributor

I get extreme winds. Rose of Sharon, butterfly bushes and evergreens do well at my place.