Contributor

CHECK THE REVIEWS before they're shipped!!

In February and again this month, I ordered about 12 different plants from Roberta's and Cottage Farms - I am so ready for warmer weather and planting. Thank goodness they are all on Advance order since they will not be sent out until safe to plant. However, as I went back and checked the items I had ordered, I happened to notice that most of them had not-so-good ratings. Many had as many bad reviews as good ones. I ended up canceling 8 of the 12 items, due to poor reviews. No need to spend hundreds of dollars on plants that ony have a 50/50 chance of living, blooming, or making it through the winter when stated as being 'hardy' in our planting zone.

Trusted Contributor

Re: CHECK THE REVIEWS before they're shipped!!

I would say instead - check the reviews before you commit to purchase the item.

Contributor

Yes, I should have checked before hand, but just got too caught up in the sight of those beautiful flowers and getting my order in. For anyone else who didn't check either, there is still time to cancel before they are sent out.

Honored Contributor

Roberta's especially is famous for selling exotic plants that are difficult to grow and are often only suited to specific climates. It pays to do some research before finalizing your order. Both companies exaggerate their claims as far as growth and blooming times are concerned.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Both Roberta's & Cottage Farms, as well as Logee's are FANTASTIC about replacing plants that don't do what they're supposed to. (For that matter, so does Lowe's, Home Depot and most garden centers).

Roberta's & Cottage are particularly patient with those of us who don't have the garden gene. Half of what I get from any of these places ends up getting replaced.

Honored Contributor

So frustrating. I haven't ever ordered plants from QVC, but I have had to return to Home Depot, Lowe's, and a local nursery several times during the past few years. And even when they replace plants, they don't do the work!

Esteemed Contributor

Buy locally ! Help the economy in your neighborhood. The plants will be already grown and you can see what they look like. I buy a lot every spring and I've never lost a plant. You can easily check for disease and overall health of the plant if you purchase from a local gardener ~ I even buy from Lowe's and Home Depot ~ they have beautiful trees, shrubs, and flowers every year.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Super Contributor

On 3/9/2014 Scotnovel said:

I would say instead - check the reviews before you commit to purchase the item.

Sometimes there aren't any then.
Occasional Contributor

I think Cottage Farms and Roberta's really focus way to much on the ""easy to grow"" factor and then customers are disappointed.

Esteemed Contributor

I purchased the Roberta's TSV daylilies. There were no reviews at the time. Mine were to ship 4/27 (they'd be dead by then). Reviews popped up, almost all bad so I canceled my order.