Valued Contributor

Sunpatients are the best Cottage Farms Offers

I'm in Florida and I ordered these last year from QVC. They are huge and still flowering. They never stopped. We didn't have frost so they just kept growing. I have them in the front of my house, full sun, sandy beach soil. I don't have a sprinkler and frankly forget to water. I can't believe they are still in bloom. They are as big as shrubs.

I just ordered two more sets. I've never had flowers last this long on total neglect...I've never fertilized either!

If I knew how to attach a photo here, I would show you what they look like.

Not applicable

Re: Sunpatients are the best Cottage Farms Offers

Love, love them! I also ordered the sunpatients last year, I could not believe the assorted amazing colors and the growth size. They also did well in a pot on my covered patio. I ordered more this year. Definitely one of my favorite plants! Aloha Oregon
Respected Contributor

Wow! I was curious about these. I live in the Northeast and it gets very hot in the summer. No matter what I plant in my window boxes (full sun) they die in August. Do you think I should take a chance on these? I would love to have something that actually lives through the summer into the fall.

Respected Contributor

On 3/2/2014 loveour4leggedfriends said:

Wow! I was curious about these. I live in the Northeast and it gets very hot in the summer. No matter what I plant in my window boxes (full sun) they die in August. Do you think I should take a chance on these? I would love to have something that actually lives through the summer into the fall.

I don't see why not. I used to buy Sunpatiens from Home Depot, plant them in containers in full sun in FL and they lasted until frost (I must be further north than Ceci) Wink I noticed they do take a lot of water by the end of the season (because they grow so large), but when you notice drooping, a drink of water makes them bounce right back. I highly recommend them.

Denise
Honored Contributor

On 3/2/2014 loveour4leggedfriends said:

Try flowering vinca, they look like impatiens and can tolerate full sun. On those really hot days, you may need to water those window boxes more than once a day.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Flowering vinca:

Respected Contributor

Thanks ladies - you are the best!!

JustJazzmom: You always have such informative information, always look forward to your comments.

Honored Contributor

On 3/3/2014 loveour4leggedfriends said:

Thanks ladies - you are the best!!

JustJazzmom: You always have such informative information, always look forward to your comments.

Thank you; I've been a Master Gardener in my county now for 14 years.

Trusted Contributor

Not trying to spoil a great threat, but I ordered the Sunpatients last year from QVC and had no luck at all. A couple of the plants had a couple of flowers, but overall a disappointment. I guess I really do have a "brown thumb." I've stated in another post that I am FAR from being considered a gardener, but I really did feel like I followed the instructions to the letter. I don't know what went wrong. It had to be something I did incorrectly, I suppose.

Seems the only thing I have really good luck with is Vinca.

Trusted Contributor

All "PAITENCE" type flowers, even the now dreaded IMPATIENCE flowers require a lot of watering and food in order to grow large.

I bought a SUNPATIENCE plant from a local nursery last year, and the dang thing grew so large, it broke the pot! LOL

I guess I am lucky that I can buy them locally, I have not ordered from CF in a long time.

I also have the Vinca, but mine seem to come back every year.