TSV(R) Preview
69 Members and 9788 Guests Online

In the Garden

Fire ant vs "regular" ant??????

Started 1366032792.203 in In the Garden | Last reply 1367582369 by RINGER

want to kill the fire ants but not regular ants in my yard.How do I know the difference?I would appreciate all info.I am totally perplexed!!!

Page 1 of 2
MISERABLE661366032979.4774828 PostsRegistered 12/7/2010Noo Yawk

Arent fire ants red? I dunno... anyone?

"Being miserable and treating people like dirt, is every New Yorkers god given right." - The mayor from Ghostbusters 2

birkin baby1366033203.144901 PostsRegistered 1/20/2011

I have no clue.And some ant hills are low and trailing along with lots of holes.Some are high.I want to keep the good ants because they are such interesting ,hard working things.

iPod1366033628.777759 PostsRegistered 5/23/2005

Fire ants are red and build dirt mounds.Go to google to find out how to get rid of them.

Baxjaxmom1366034125.242508 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

There are hundreds of varieties of ants, with certain ones being indigenous to varying regions. I'm wondering why you would want to distinguish, as in my mind, all ants considered "pests", with some possibly being more harmful or dangerous than others? I'll readily admit that because I don't know one from another, and they all repulse me, so if I were treating for them, my only question would be which pesticide would kill any and all of them. They are difficult, if not impossible, to rid because I saw a documentary once showing a cross section of the elaborate colonies they build deep down within the earth therefore, any pesticides are only surface treatment and they will return. It was quite the phenomenon, as master architects and engineers couldn't compete with what was shown on how they create such.

birkin baby1366034159.3134901 PostsRegistered 1/20/2011

I know how to kill em....I just cant tell fire from regular...lol.I must just be yard challenged!!{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

birkin baby1366035146.3474901 PostsRegistered 1/20/2011
On 4/15/2013 Baxjaxmom said:

There are hundreds of varieties of ants, with certain ones being indigenous to varying regions. I'm wondering why you would want to distinguish, as in my mind, all ants considered "pests", with some possibly being more harmful or dangerous than others? I'll readily admit that because I don't know one from another, and they all repulse me, so if I were treating for them, my only question would be which pesticide would kill any and all of them. They are difficult, if not impossible, to rid because I saw a documentary once showing a cross section of the elaborate colonies they build deep down within the earth therefore, any pesticides are only surface treatment and they will return. It was quite the phenomenon, as master architects and engineers couldn't compete with what was shown on how they create such.

I think regular ants are an important part of our ecosystem,and why kill those???

Witchy Wom­an1366038928.4532698 PostsRegistered 12/17/2005

Fire ants are tiny and will swarm onto you if you step on their mounds...AND, they sting like the devil....I experienced them in Florida but I'm sure they are in other areas. If I had them in my yard, I would move heaven and earth to kill them because they can really, really hurt you.

Having said that, I launched an all out attack last year on the ant when I found the small brown ones in my house....outside, I am live and let live, but when they came into my house that did it. They were not getting in food, but traveling the baseboards and under the woodwork.

I purchased some liquid ant bait and feeding stations that are positioned in your yard and that got rid of them. But before that, I tried everything I could pick up in the stores and nothing worked. If you bait them in your house, you will get a house full of ants.

By baiting and killing them outside, they do not come into your house.

Admittedly, I felt terribly guilty about killing them....but I could not have my house overrun by ants all summer long.

Wanted to add that I'm not sure what I used will kill fire ants, but I think it could. You can do a bit of checking and find out. I think the liquid bait says which ants it will kill...there are only a few it will NOT kill from what I remember. Hopefully, fire ants are not among those.

Last edited on 4/15/2013

Last edited on 4/15/2013

HappyVal1366042468.323644 PostsRegistered 6/9/2011

Fire ants are not like any other kind of ant, in my experience! They are agressive, build huge mounds above the ground, and are nearly impossible to get rid of. My cat nearly died after eating cat food that the ants had gotten into. They bit her tongue and her mouth swelled up. I am very allergic to their bite, and if bitten, it will take up to 6 weeks for the bite to disappear.

I thought when I relocated to Tennessee from Florida that I would be rid of them forever. Not so, as they are moving North and I now see them here in TN.

When we battled them, seems like the best we could do was to run them out of our lawn and over into our neighbors (LOL, that wasn't intentional, that's just what they did). And we tried everything. I've heard that you must locate the queen and kill her, otherwise, the ants will just move her around and re-colonize away from the treated area.

Lastly, I have no problem with house ants, black ants, "sugar" ants, etc. They are fairly easy to control by trapping and redirecting, repelling, etc. However, fire ants are dangerous and can hurt people and animals.

imaclothes­hog1366044424.14321999 PostsRegistered 2/12/2006

Go to your garden center and buy something specifically for fire ants, get someone there to help you. They have sprays, powders and baits. Fire ants are bigger than regular ants and like someone else said they are aggressive and just mean. You do not want fire ant mounds in your yard! They can attack pets and children and when they bite it really hurts! If there is one thing I don't mind killing it's fire ants. Nasty little things.

Last edited on 4/15/2013

Last edited on 4/15/2013

"If you can't make it better, you can laugh at it". ~Erma Bombeck

arrianna1366054929.3035072 PostsRegistered 10/20/2010
On 4/15/2013 HappyVal said:

Fire ants are not like any other kind of ant, in my experience! They are agressive, build huge mounds above the ground, and are nearly impossible to get rid of. My cat nearly died after eating cat food that the ants had gotten into. They bit her tongue and her mouth swelled up. I am very allergic to their bite, and if bitten, it will take up to 6 weeks for the bite to disappear.

I thought when I relocated to Tennessee from Florida that I would be rid of them forever. Not so, as they are moving North and I now see them here in TN.

When we battled them, seems like the best we could do was to run them out of our lawn and over into our neighbors (LOL, that wasn't intentional, that's just what they did). And we tried everything. I've heard that you must locate the queen and kill her, otherwise, the ants will just move her around and re-colonize away from the treated area.

Lastly, I have no problem with house ants, black ants, "sugar" ants, etc. They are fairly easy to control by trapping and redirecting, repelling, etc. However, fire ants are dangerous and can hurt people and animals.

Fire ants can cover a person and send a signal to sting simultaneously. I know someone who was sunbathing on the ground in FL and he went running for the water when he saw the ants all over his towel and crawling onto him.

OT: Carpenter ants can eat the wood in your house, they also have a queen that needs to be located and exterminated.

You will need to treat your lawn, a good pest control company can help.

arrianna1366054997.7835072 PostsRegistered 10/20/2010
On 4/15/2013 MISERABLE66 said:

Arent fire ants red? I dunno... anyone?

Yes, they are small and red, I saw them in FL and Alabama.

georgia da­wgs1366056248.8636 PostsRegistered 6/15/2010
You can take some grits and sprinkle on the mounds and that will get rid of them. They also you can use corn meal.

ThinkOutsi­deTheBox1366056960.281633 PostsRegistered 1/23/2011
On 4/15/2013 georgia dawgs said: You can take some grits and sprinkle on the mounds and that will get rid of them. They also you can use corn meal.
Unfortunately, the grits and corn meal remedies are apparently urban legends and do not work. I had just researched this topic myself the other day after noticing that between my husband's feeding the birds and my neighbor's using the thumper against moles in his yard, we now have both moles and fire ants appearing in our yard within the last few weeks. This has never occurred before both these morons started both these activities. Now, we have rodents getting into the house, rodents in the yard, and fire ants building colonies out of nowhere. Apparently, yes, the workers will just move the queen if you take any kind of action against the hive that does not get HER first. So, the advice is to buy the appropriate fire ant bait and treat the yard or area. The workers will then take bait to the queen to feed her and hopefully kill her. She has to be killed in order to eradicate the nest. And, fire ant workers can be brown to reddish brown. The nests can be in mounds or under ground.

catprincess1366057131.8132365 PostsRegistered 4/9/2007Rocky Mountains

We had them in Texas. They can build huge mounds and are not easy to kill. You need a special fire ant product. It is said they can swarm & kill a calf! I got stung or bitten on the ankle & leg and the stinging, burning sensation can last for weeks and take a long time to heal up!

Desertdi1366058716.04715951 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Surface of the Sun
On 4/15/2013 catprincess said:

We had them in Texas. They can build huge mounds and are not easy to kill. You need a special fire ant product. It is said they can swarm & kill a calf! I got stung or bitten on the ankle & leg and the stinging, burning sensation can last for weeks and take a long time to heal up!

Same in AZ........I got a sting on my foot, and it was swollen like a football for 3 months......and painful

Doxie1366063160.529069 PostsRegistered 7/1/2007

Fire ants are fierce. I have dealt with them for years. They even make mounds in the middle of buildings. You do not really ever get rid of them. You try to control them

Winged males and females fly above the ground and mate in the air. The males die. the females land on ground, break off wings and form a colony in the ground where they make a nest of eggs. The eggs hatch and populate the colony. This cycle goes on and on.

You do not get rid of them because:

1. there are always new winged queens starting new colonies.

2. They cover a big distance by air

We do the following:

1. All neighbors agree to bait the same weekend ( 3 day period)

2. We treat mounds

3. We treat the entire yard

If we do this it usually keeps us all clear for anywhere from 10 - 16 months. After having people getting infections from bites and severe allergic reactions we decided it was worth it.

doxie

colliegirls1366064262.8936536 PostsRegistered 5/13/2012

The south has the nasty red Fire ants that bite, the North has sweet black ants that love sugar and picnics!! lol!

We kill fire ants with Amdro, you pour the granuals on the mound, they eat it and take it to the queen to eat, the entire colony is dead, as it deserves to be!!

Doxie1366070009.9539069 PostsRegistered 7/1/2007

That works good on the mounds. You also have mounds forming that are not at the surface yet. Some of the ants deep in the mound move through the ground tunnels to make another colony. There are always more in the making so you have to keep going after the mounds. If you spread the stuff on the lawn as well it takes care of the mounds you can not see. It amazed me that they flew in the air to multiply. When you get a reaction from a bite you do not forget them anytime soon. Their teeth feel like razor blades chewing through you.

doxie

golden mar­iposa1366072690.4031413 PostsRegistered 11/10/2007
On 4/15/2013 colliegirls said:

The south has the nasty red Fire ants that bite, the North has sweet black ants that love sugar and picnics!! lol!

We kill fire ants with Amdro, you pour the granuals on the mound, they eat it and take it to the queen to eat, the entire colony is dead, as it deserves to be!!

Yes, Amdro does a very good job. Usually kills those darn fire ants within an hour. Fire ants are nothing to mess with. I stepped in a mound (which I didn't see) last year and within a few seconds there were thousands of ants running up my leg and biting me. The bites produce red welts and they sting like the dickens. You must be very careful with young children and babies; fire ants can kill them. I always have several bags of Amdro in the garage. Grits and cornmeal don't do a darn thing to fire ants.

"In order to be irreplaceable; one must always be different. " Coco Chanel

viva9231366073093.866914 PostsRegistered 4/5/2008Delaware

If I remember correctly, they are red tinged. I know the fire ants bite like crazy. I was living in Hawaii many yrs ago, I was standing outside talking to a friend, little did I know I was standing in a fire ant nest. my foot was burning, hurting and welted.

gypsy21366080559.751912 PostsRegistered 5/24/2010

Around here you always look at the ground before you stand in one place for very long. Like someone said, if you have ever been bitten by fireants you learn to watch for them. We use Amdro on the mounds and this year we have treated the whole yard with something for several different kinds of pests.

Montana1366086500.0831595 PostsRegistered 7/1/2005
Check out the "Aspartane in Milk!!" thread on the Kitchen & Food Talk board. A poster said fire ants were killed by sprinkling Equal (the artificial sweetener) around. Last edited on 4/16/2013

Last edited on 4/16/2013

esmeraldag­ooch1367508005.4612180 PostsRegistered 1/7/2008Adopt a Rescue Pet, who rescues who?

I use Over and Out on the holes. Some say you can sprinkle corn meal only as they can't digest it and die. Couldn't hurt to try first.

Faith is taking the first step even when you can't see the whole staircase.
Martin Luther King Jr.

Dagna1367511185.9314011 PostsRegistered 2/10/2006
On 4/15/2013 birkin baby said:

I know how to kill em....I just cant tell fire from regular...lol.I must just be yard challenged!!{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Let one crawl on you. You'll know immediately.



Kamela1367534613.723139 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007Bermuda Dunes, Ca.

In our area we can contact the Riverside County and they will come out , investigate and place bait to get rid of them. There is no charge for this as it is included in our Property Taxes. They also get rid of of Killer Mosquitoes.

Page 1 of 2