Dooney & Bourke
106 Members and 16269 Guests Online

In the Garden

STINK BUGS

Started 1364081483.377 in In the Garden | Last reply 1364823804.057 by adoreqvc
replies

Forgive me if I am asking the wrong person, but I was watching one night in the past week and the subject of stink bugs came up. There was a specific plant that is supposed to keep them away. I hope you can help me by letting me know what plant/plants that would be!! Thank you so much!! I always enjoy watching the beautiful gardening spots!!

Page 1 of 1
Emy1364110144.8534064 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Silver Spring, Maryland

Hi,

I'm a Master Gardener, with the University of Maryland Extension Service, Montgomery County, MD. I took my basic training last year and can tell you that I heard many lectures about Stink Bugs - how they got into this country, the damage they have caused to the agriculture industry here, particularly on the Eastern Shore and what the State of Maryland Agriculture Dept. and US Fed Ag Dept. are doing to stop their spread.

The Point of Entry was here, in Maryland. Adelphi, Maryland to be exact. They arrived - from China - in boxes filled with packing materials. Unfortunately, they left their natural predators at home, in China.

But, the Chinese Gov't has been actively working with Fed. and state Agriculture agencies and land grant universities (like U. of Maryland) to limit and/or stop the stink bugs migration into anymore states.

Praying Mantis bugs love to eat Stink Bugs. Here, in Maryland, large numbers of these predatory bugs will be released in communities, counties, cities and towns throughout this state.

There are no plants that repel Stink Bugs. If this were the case, the infestation could and would have been stopped several years back.

When you find stink bugs in your home or on your property, you need to put them into soapy water, which is the only way to kill them, besides squashing them - which isn't a good idea because that's when they stink.

Homemade Stink Bug trap:

Take an empty mayonnaise jar and fill about on quarter of the way up with water and a few squirts of dish washing liquid. Put the top on the jar, shake, take the top off of the jar. Use the lid to scoop Stink Bugs up and into the jar.

Flushing Stink Bugs down the toilet does not kill them.

Actually, if you go to the University of Maryland Extension Service, Home and Garden and type in "Stink Bugs," or type in Dr. Michael Raupp (The Bug Man), you can watch videos about these bugs and watch demos about how to trap them. Also, why their presence here in the US is such a serious problem. Also, you can watch a video of a Praying Mantis munching on a stink bug. (Ick.)

Hope this helps,

Emy

Thebig I1364349795.363393 PostsRegistered 9/9/2012

Thank you for your informative post, gosh these things sound vile, ICKY! How does one go about getting praying mantisis?

Gigikiwi1364350147.6071530 PostsRegistered 12/13/2007

Hi Emy, a fellow MG here. I knew nothing of stink bugs, other than very recently I have found two dead ones in my house. It is odd, as I never have before. I do battle with Japanese Beetles, but not so much lately as our last two summers of drought deterred them.

Thanks for the info.

Frannie1364350163.5732108 PostsRegistered 9/27/2006

Alcohol kills them. Not on contact but eventually. We've been plagued with them here in southwestern PA the last couple of summers. I keep a spray bottle of alcohol in my kitchen and when they land on my sliding screen deck door I zap them with it. They fly off the screen and land on the deck. I sweep dozens of them - dead ones - off the deck daily. When I catch them in the house I pick them up with a tissue and flush them. Even if they're not dead at least they're out of my house. But I can't imagine flushing not killing them.

Last edited on 3/27/2013

Last edited on 3/27/2013

Azcowgirl1364371228.437132 PostsRegistered 4/10/2012
I detest those stinkin things......we had a Colorado log home infested with them (didn't know till we moved in) and flushed many down the toilet to avoid the smell from smashing them....bless the praying mantis hearts for eating them (ugh) that's awful that our country is invaded with them now, wish we could send them all back to China ):

Krimpette1364383313.31710416 PostsRegistered 9/7/2007MidAtlantic

"Flushing Stink Bugs down the toilet does not kill them."

Emy: If flushing doesn't kill them, then what happens to them when you flush them down the toilet? (Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I can't imagine how they can survive the flush of water). Thanks

OHAR1364430193.9331414 PostsRegistered 11/10/2007
On 3/27/2013 Krimpette said:

"Flushing Stink Bugs down the toilet does not kill them."

Emy: If flushing doesn't kill them, then what happens to them when you flush them down the toilet? (Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I can't imagine how they can survive the flush of water). Thanks

I'm thinking the same thing. Wouldn't they drown during the flush or go into the sewer and drown there? Maybe they are good swimmers????{#emotions_dlg.scared}

"In order to be irreplaceable; one must always be different. " Coco Chanel

MrsT1364431204.492058 PostsRegistered 5/17/2008
I'm assuming they're everywhere, as we have them in Portland, OR. They and Box Elder Beetles are always trying to find their way indoors once the weather starts turning cool. We've been up here 3 years now, and I remember the home inspector showed me all the dead bugs caught between the screen and the glass window, where they died trying to get in. He told me they were nothing to worry about, but just get used to them. No exaggeration, there'd be 100s of them dead there. The beetles don't bother me, but I've learned to have a container with soap water for the stink bugs.

adoreqvc1364823804.0375469 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

i hope china helps with the remedy to kill them all off.

the praying mantis are great but having them in the house too would

not be easy.

they truly are horrid little prehistoric looking critters.

Page 1 of 1