TSV(R) Preview
16 Members and 9090 Guests Online

In the Garden

~Cotton Candy Grasses~,,, Cottage Farms

Started 1334179774.507 in In the Garden | Last reply 1345390421.423 by kittykatkay

Well, they arrived today, hardly what was shown on camera..

Phillip, holds a sturdy,full, long grass plug on camera , telling us this is what they ship.. ... Mine came in a small plastic bag with an elastic wrapped around it, looking more like a divot..... I have crab grass in my yard that looks healthier..{#emotions_dlg.crying} I'm so disappointed... If I phone CF I don't know that I would get anything healthier.. I have 24 sitting here looking very sad.....

Page 1 of 1
summersage1334181966.2572324 PostsRegistered 7/28/2010

Rachelle, I had the same experience last year. The plants looked so sickly when they arrived.

I posted last year that everything I bought from both CF and RG had done nothing! Not one plant grew!!

DH is the gardener, but I bought these plants from QVC because I wanted the more exotic and unusual. We also bought flowers and plants from our local Home Depot & Nurseries; they grew beautifully, but not ONE of any of the other plants grew.

I didn't bother to call re a refund or replacement, didn't care to even go through that mess again. Our beds and areas of our yard were embarrassing!

For those that have had good luck with these companies, that's great, but I did not! Never again.

I'm staying local!

Summer

"most of the shadows of this life are caused by our standing in our own sunshine" Ralph Walso Emerson

legsmanning1334182573.4183 PostsRegistered 10/5/2010SE Georgia

My came the same way, but they are growing so much. Very pretty! Also, purchased the rose bushes & they are beautiful. I planted them & watered them everyday.

shannara1334183524.893638 PostsRegistered 2/5/2006

I received the hydrangeas from Cottage Farms last week and they did not look terrific, but they were alive. Philip always says they will ship when it is safe to plant. So I planted and we had frost - the plants now look like 3 week old lettuce. I called QVC and they offered me replacements or a refund. I chose replacements and will not put in the ground until I think it's okay to do so. Anyway, if you're plants are dead - call QVC for a refund. I also got the grass today and yes, it is very small, but alive. I put into pots and will harden off before I plant in the ground. They were very nice about it and they couldn't have been more fair. If you're within the 30 days - get a refund.

Rachelle1334184123.0831292 PostsRegistered 9/30/2007
On 4/11/2012 Summersage said:

Rachelle, I had the same experience last year. The plants looked so sickly when they arrived.

I posted last year that everything I bought from both CF and RG had done nothing! Not one plant grew!!

DH is the gardener, but I bought these plants from QVC because I wanted the more exotic and unusual. We also bought flowers and plants from our local Home Depot & Nurseries; they grew beautifully, but not ONE of any of the other plants grew.

I didn't bother to call re a refund or replacement, didn't care to even go through that mess again. Our beds and areas of our yard were embarrassing!

For those that have had good luck with these companies, that's great, but I did not! Never again.

I'm staying local!

Was thinking the same , Summer... I took a gamble and it didn't pay off, for me, not speaking for anyone else. Its just a shame they show you one thing and end up with something else... I'll toss them and head to Lowes & Depot,, least there, if something dies, its repaced in minutes... Local is the way to grow.. : )

HSpy31334856297.67214 PostsRegistered 3/16/2012Huntingdon PA

I would at least make the phone call. I called about my pink grassea from last year and had no trouble at all. It's worth at least getting replacements for the price you've already paid. I started mine in a whiskey barrel until they grew a little and then planted them and asked for replacements for the ones that jsut didn't make it. If you go directly to Cottage Farms website you can fill a form out online. CottageFarmsDirect.com

H.

fthunt1334867556.9871432 PostsRegistered 12/24/2010

I'm not surprised - my experiences have all been negative negative. The 3 level strawberry planter dish, the rose tree, the rose bushes all met their demise shortly after planting. Plants put in those plastic bags get cooked during transit or moldy or are almost dead on arrival! Never bought much from the 'other guys' because I don't like watching their presentations. (especially the bossy older taller brother){#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

chihuahuaX31334893666.26749 PostsRegistered 5/8/2010

This is very disappointing! I ordered and it's to late to cancel...will be here any day.{#emotions_dlg.mad}

KYHorseLov­er1335031615.2517 PostsRegistered 1/16/2008

I agree that I will never buy any bushes, shrubs, or plants from CF. I think they intentionally ship 1/3 of your order with bad plants, thinking that you won't bother returning them if MOST are ok. Also local nurseries have plants twice as tall, twice as healthy and at 1/2 the price.

I have never had luck with anything EXCEPT trees! for some reason, the trees I have bought have been terrific. I have a Twisted Redbud, several Tree Hydrangeas, a Varigated Flamingo, and all have been great. They are strong, sturdy, and healthy when they arrived. My hydrangeas tree is absolutely stunning in bloom, and people stop to ask what it is. Whenever Philip is on, I ignore the plant sales pitch but if a tree comes on, I pay attention. I also want to comment on the ratings that QVC gives their stuff. A pink grass has mostly "1" for ratings but QVC has it as a Customer Favorite. How can that be? I think QVC should quit selling those items that have more unhappy customers than happy! But give CF trees a shot. I think you will be happy!

KYHorseLov­er1335031652.95717 PostsRegistered 1/16/2008

I agree that I will never buy any bushes, shrubs, or plants from CF. I think they intentionally ship 1/3 of your order with bad plants, thinking that you won't bother returning them if MOST are ok. Also local nurseries have plants twice as tall, twice as healthy and at 1/2 the price.

I have never had luck with anything EXCEPT trees! for some reason, the trees I have bought have been terrific. I have a Twisted Redbud, several Tree Hydrangeas, a Varigated Flamingo, and all have been great. They are strong, sturdy, and healthy when they arrived. My hydrangeas tree is absolutely stunning in bloom, and people stop to ask what it is. Whenever Philip is on, I ignore the plant sales pitch but if a tree comes on, I pay attention. I also want to comment on the ratings that QVC gives their stuff. A pink grass has mostly "1" for ratings but QVC has it as a Customer Favorite. How can that be? I think QVC should quit selling those items that have more unhappy customers than happy! But give CF trees a shot. I think you will be happy!

JustJazzmom1335033375.12328144 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007My garden, of course!!

I really think it depends on how well certain plants regionally adapt to new homes. Local grown is the best because they are naturally regionally adapted. Other factors that come into play is how soon you plant and how well you prepare the planting ground for the plants. Obviously if plants are coming to you more dead than alive, then that is a cause for a bad review.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼

kachina6241335045552.95316243 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico

Several years ago I got a butterfly bu*sh from Cottage Farms. It was so tiny and helpless looking that I just couldn't put it in the ground. It kept it in a pot for a couple of months then planted it in the ground and put wire fencing around it so my dogs wouldn't run over it. Well, It has grown and is now about 5' high and is covered with blooms all summer. Baby them along and they'll soon grown large enough to fend for themselves.

straitgirl1335129389.9721661 PostsRegistered 7/29/2006

I learned my lesson several years ago and CF customer service is terrible. Phillip is just a salesman for them. He used to sell for Spring Hills on tv before CF. I only buy local.

karens gar­den1338045251.772 PostsRegistered 5/26/2012

I also had bad luck with my cotton candy grass....but I called CF and they are to send me replacements. I really hope these do better as they are the ones that i most wanted in my garden that no one else on our block has... I have only had to call about replacements or refunds from CF and Robertas three times in the last three years . Customer service has always been kind and helpful to me. No hassle about getting replacements or refunds. All my lilies are doing just great. My asian lillies are so pretty. My mini roses are the only ones that didn't do well,,,,only three out of twelve have survived. OMG my hydranges are BEAUTIFUL....I got four different kinds and so far all are very healthy and growing...can't wait to see all of them in bloom..the one in bloom has the best color of pink-white. If i continue to have the results i have had from CF and R...I will continue to order every year in the spring for the different, most colorful plants for my garden..,..

suki1338829526.18310 PostsRegistered 11/7/2010

I have not had good luck with CF either, except the big butterfly bushes, had one hydrangea survive out of four and my two Rose of Sharon bushes made it but it has taken about 5 years or so for them to actually look anywhere near to what was shown on TV. When I was at a local nursery talking to them about ornamental grasses they said to stay away from the pink grasses as they rarely survive and grow nicely and we are in zone 7-8 where they "supposedly" should be very safe. Have had great luck with local nurseries and the big box store plants.

JustJazzmom1338832272.33728144 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007My garden, of course!!
On 6/4/2012 suki said:

I have not had good luck with CF either, except the big butterfly bushes, had one hydrangea survive out of four and my two Rose of Sharon bushes made it but it has taken about 5 years or so for them to actually look anywhere near to what was shown on TV. When I was at a local nursery talking to them about ornamental grasses they said to stay away from the pink grasses as they rarely survive and grow nicely and we are in zone 7-8 where they "supposedly" should be very safe. Have had great luck with local nurseries and the big box store plants.

This is what I heard too about the survivability over our winters in zone 7 for these pink grasses at a recent ornamental grass lecture. Think of them as expensive annuals! {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼

catherine-­grace1343588750.2677 PostsRegistered 4/14/2007

I've read all the posts. So my pink plumes have puked... {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown} I planted them the day after they came. I waited to see if they would grow, survive, bloom, live... (They are very dead. I'm in zone 6, fyi.) Can anyone tell me if I am still allowed to request a refund? I would like one. This does not seem very fair. I did every right. Thanks for all advise and help!

kittykatkay1345390421.42323127 PostsRegistered 2/24/2011

I got these too a couple of years ago. Only one is still thriving and barely any pink grasses has come out of it.

I love to laugh and dance......

Page 1 of 1