Frequent Contributor

For Pearl Experts & anyone who rec'd the past Honora TSV

Hi. I just received the Ming pearls which were Honora's TSV last week & I am in love with them. They're beautiful!

However, I'm less in love with them being tightly strung on wire. I don't like the stiffness, as the pearl edges are forced and caught against each other, and I also don't like the idea of them rubbing each other.

My question for all you pearl lovers is: Is there a good reason for the wire as opposed to the standard knotted nylon (or silk?) thread? I realize they are larger/heavier pearls, but I'm not seeing the reasoning for the wire over hand-knotted thread other than it's obvious strength. If you have some wisdom for me, I would appreciate you sharing as I'm considering re-stringing.

Thanks. Smile

Super Contributor

Re: For Pearl Experts & anyone who rec'd the past Honora TSV

Honora has said they used the wire for strength. Ming pearls are heavy.

Super Contributor

I received both the 18" and 20". I'm sending back the 20" because they are just too much for me to wear "doubled"....but they are gorgeous, and I am keeping the 18". I am also not completely sold on the wire, although the pearls do seem to fit well on it. They don't flop around as much as my fireballs do, for instance. But that said, I may change the wire out for a more traditional pearl string. The pearls themselves are gorgeous and I love them.

Frequent Contributor

Joel said they had a lot of breakage with the silk cords and this wire was the best answer for the heavier pearls. It also holds its shape so the pearls lie correctly.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for your responses!

The pearls themselves are lovely. In my necklace, they're jammed so tightly together that about six of the pearls are actually forced into a straight line. It creates a kind of squared-off look near the bottom, which isn't a good look at all. I can't flex them as they grate and grind against each other. Since it's wire, I don't expect it will relax any... Hmmm. This is the only reason I was thinking about re-stringing with something more flexible.

ETA-- Smarty, yes they're like little (or not so little!) treasures! I'm not letting these go, even if I do have to work something out w/ the stringing.

Respected Contributor

No one else sells Edisons or South Sea pearls which are just as heavy on wire. There is a reason they use silk with knots.

Frequent Contributor

That's what I was thinking--that I've seen other heavy pearls stung on silk (or ?), and the knots seem common sense for many reasons. I'll have to do some research on quality threads (silk and whatever else might be used)--see what's out there and make a decision.

Respected Contributor

Generally, they use a double strand (one strand though the needle and knotted to make a double strand) then knot between each pearl (called double knot) and use gimp/bullion/frenchwire (all same thing different name) at the clasp. It's the weakest point of the strand. This is basically a coiled wire which is a sleeve over the silk at the clasp to stop wear. If you would like a photo I can provide one.

Super Contributor

On 4/18/2014 esmeraldagooch said:

Generally, they use a double strand (one strand though the needle and knotted to make a double strand) then knot between each pearl (called double knot) and use gimp/bullion/frenchwire (all same thing different name) at the clasp. It's the weakest point of the strand. This is basically a coiled wire which is a sleeve over the silk at the clasp to stop wear. If you would like a photo I can provide one.

Well, if it's not too much trouble. {#emotions_dlg.blush}

It's been a while since I had some pearls restrung, and I remember the cost was reasonable, but the biggest challenge was finding someone who knew how to do it.

Regular Contributor

JTV did have videos on how to string and knot pearls. You might want to check it out. Good luck!