Regular Contributor

Honora going cheap....(spoiler alert - this is only my opinion)

Am I the only one that feels Honora is going down a new path? "Bronze" metal, colored "crystals", low quality "ringed" pearls dyed Easter egg colors - I see this type of merchandise at our local swap meet (made in Korea) being sold to tourists (I live in Hawaii)

I remember when the Honora name stood for quality, classic (think Jackie and twin-sets) pearl jewelry.

Honestly ladies - these types of pieces sell for $5 at my swap meet! Another brand bites the dust IMO.

Super Contributor

Re: Honora going cheap....(spoiler alert - this is only my opinion)

Because it's pertinent to the subject

Regular Contributor

Panz should know.

I respect her knowledge about jewels, she has been a poster here for many years. I respect her opinion, which is what this forum is all about.

Regular Contributor

On 4/12/2014 tropicalbeachgirl said:

Panz should know.

I respect her knowledge about jewels, she has been a poster here for many years. I respect her opinion, which is what this forum is all about.

THANK YOU tropicalbeachgirl!!!!!!!!

I wish I could take a picture of the same type of product sold at our Maui swap meet on Saturdays! I just feel bad for people that are buying the "Honora" name, but getting low-grade pearls that really aren't worth a fraction of what QVC is selling them for (don't get me started on Lee Sands - I've seen his exact products - not similar - but the same thing at the swap meet).

I could kiss you right now!

Valued Contributor

I agree they are going cheap however their prices are not reflecting that.

Occasional Contributor

I used to watch QVC religiously...for years. It was kind of a joke in my family that if you turned on the t.v. at my house, it would be QVC. I started to lose interest back in 2007-2008, and now just tune in occasionally. I am always amazed at how "upscale" it seems, but "downhill" it's gone. Honora for example, used to be classy elegant pieces, now it looks like costume junk I can get at big box store. I used to like Carolyn Pollock, and recently ( I have just been reviewing) her pieces are even costume-ish. I bought all my bridesmaids jewelry from RLM studios, and I'm so disappointed to see his stuff is now made in China. Bought a sterling silver heart bracelet (similar to Tiffany's) from Judith Ripka, and have to say it's probably the best jewelry piece I've purchased from QVC. But, have noticed in her recent reviews the price has gone up and quality down. Such a shame.

Super Contributor

I am grateful for all opinions i come across here. It's good to get information and hopefully people will do a little research and then decide what to do with the opinions they find.

Honored Contributor

I have a jewelry box filled with Honora, especially the earrings. I keep buying them because unless it is a deep color (like that dark blue) I can't figure out the one's that match.

I've noticed some of the earrings fade in color. I thought it was my eyesight so I asked my two granddaughters to match them up.

They said, "Grandma some of these don't have any earrings that match. They are all Honora, that's the only place I've bought pearls.

The backs are better from a few years back too. I don't expect things to stay the same quality. People want cheap jewelry and I think we all get what we pay for.

I'm just saying I don't buy like I used to by any means.

Super Contributor

Honora has expanded what they do to appeal to a broader audience. They still have $30,000 strands if that is what you want. There are some very classic, and more costly pieces on Q, but also the fun, fashion designs that appeal both aesthetically and financially to others. Honora has different offerings for the different segments of their markets - jewelers, dept. stores (and different grades within those) and QVC.

I don't think the problem is not so much that you don't seem to care for what you see for Honora's products on the Q, but how you said it and the inference that those who might enjoy it are inferior.

Also, I notice you're in Hawaii. I would imagine there are a lot more, and diverse pearls readily available than there are to those of us on the mainland.

Super Contributor

On 4/12/2014 7Lady7Luck7 said:

I used to watch QVC religiously...for years. It was kind of a joke in my family that if you turned on the t.v. at my house, it would be QVC. I started to lose interest back in 2007-2008, and now just tune in occasionally. I am always amazed at how "upscale" it seems, but "downhill" it's gone. Honora for example, used to be classy elegant pieces, now it looks like costume junk I can get at big box store. I used to like Carolyn Pollock, and recently ( I have just been reviewing) her pieces are even costume-ish. I bought all my bridesmaids jewelry from RLM studios, and I'm so disappointed to see his stuff is now made in China. Bought a sterling silver heart bracelet (similar to Tiffany's) from Judith Ripka, and have to say it's probably the best jewelry piece I've purchased from QVC. But, have noticed in her recent reviews the price has gone up and quality down. Such a shame.

I think the RLM Studio line on the Q was always manufactured in China.