Super Contributor

14mm Stud Earrings J293665 What does everyone think? Need some input.

I'd love to know what others are thinking about these earrings. Do you think they are worth the $240 with tax and shipping? I already have the 11mm studs with the happy backs in a couple of colors, but these are kind of singing to me. They seem a little high in price considering the 11mm ones were under $50 when I bought them as the TSV.

Valued Contributor

Re: 14mm Stud Earrings J293665 What does everyone think? Need some input.

I am taking a strong look at these earrings also. I have the 11m ones also but I love a white pearl stud. THey are expensive but I heard them say that this size for a button is very hard to get. I am ordering them along with a White Ming pearl necklace so when I receive I will give my opinions.

Beckyblu

Respected Contributor

I really think the 14mm might be too big, unless they are very flat. I also have the 11mm studs and I think that the 11mm size is perfect. I have a round 14mm pendant (Tihitian) and it's huge, I can't see that as an earring, and I wear larger earrings. A friend received a pair of 14mm pearl earrings and she find them too big also. She has a lot of hair and is used to wearing very large earrings. But the 14mm round pearls droop and stick out. They are not a good look. Maybe the button earring would be different. The only way to know is to try them.

Super Contributor

On 4/12/2014 Scorpios said:

these are kind of singing to me. They seem a little high in price considering the 11mm ones were under $50 when I bought them as the TSV.

Well, if they are singing ... {#emotions_dlg.blush}

I think a lot depends on the size of your ear lobe. I have 11 mm round studs (not Honora), but I usually reach for my 9 mm. However, these 14mm looked really nice on Jane (I think she should buy them).

When it comes to pearl size, remember, it's not a linear difference; pearls are 3-dimensional objects.

From PP:

"As a rule of thumb, I’ve always told customers that a 2 mm incremental increase in millimeter size would approximately double the overall size of the pearl. On the surface this tends to be confusing. How can an 8 mm pearl be twice the size of a 6 mm pearl?

"Pearl Dreams, a pearl enthusiast from Pearl-Guide.com’s community forum produced a brilliant explanation that I plan to incorporate into our team training. It isn’t so much the millimeter size that determines the true size of a pearl. Given that pearls are three-dimensional objects, the volume is what truly determines the size.

"By determining the volume of perfectly round pearls (V =4/3pr³) in 1 mm pearl increments, Pearl Dreams was able to show that a small increase in pearl mm size can have a large impact on the true size of a pearl.

12 mm pearl: 904 cubic mm (30% larger than 11mm and 73% larger than 10mm; over 3 times as large as 8mm)
11 mm pearl: 697 cubic mm (33% larger than 10mm)
10 mm pearl: 523 cubic mm (37% larger than 9mm, 95% larger than 8mm)
9 mm pearl: 382 cubic mm (43% larger than 8mm; 2 times as large as 7mm pearls)
8 mm pearl: 268 cubic mm (49% larger than 7mm)
7 mm pearl: 180 cubic mm (59% larger than 6mm)
6 mm pearl: 113 cubic mm

Super Contributor

The largest studs I have are 11mm and they look large on me but they are not the Button style. If you like large studs, you should try them if they are singing to you and hopefully because of the style, they won't droop on you.

Valued Contributor

Jane mentioned them once and I noticed how beautiful they were last night. I waited the whole show for the presentation and it never happened. Ralph said they were private reserve. I had purchased them at the beginning of the show but with no showing and the price I cancelled. I will wait for the reviews.
Super Contributor

tjac, maybe they'll be in the show today.

Honored Contributor

Ugh, silver posts. Smiley Sad IMO it wouldn't be worth that cost. 1) it's silver, which I wouldn't put in my ears; and 2) a freshwater pearl, that's probably not very highly graded is not going to be worth that kind of money.

For people who can put silver in their ears, maybe it's worth it to them. But I would say that they are massively overpriced. If they were set in gold it would be closer to what they are worth.

Just one other thing - 14mm is really huge. If you have very large ears/earlobes, you might be able to carry off that size. I know I could not. I have some Tahitian pearl studs that are 8-9mm and that's about as large as I could go. It covers the entire area.

Furthermore, I wonder if the finding and clasp would support such a large stud.

Super Contributor

On 4/12/2014 chickenbutt said:

Ugh, silver posts. Smiley Sad IMO it wouldn't be worth that cost. 1) it's silver, which I wouldn't put in my ears; and 2) a freshwater pearl, that's probably not very highly graded is not going to be worth that kind of money.

There is no universal grading system for pearls.

Since freshwater pearls begin with a small piece of tissue, a 14mm pearl took years to grow.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, good point, Ennui. You really don't see freshwater pearls that large hardly ever.