Honored Contributor

How can you give a five star review to something you are sending back?

I'm finding these examples more frequently lately. If the shoe isn't true to size and you sent it back, it doesn't get five stars. I just read a long two paragraph review on a keshi Honora strand to find out it was strung too tight. They sent it back and gave it five stars. Reviews are becoming a waste of time.

Contributor

Re: How can you give a five star review to something you are sending back?

Interesting. €£
Honored Contributor

I've given a five-star rating to something that I sent back. It was a beautiful ring but once I tried it on my finger, it just wasn't for me. There was no point in me skewing the rating because it didn't look good on my hand. It looked fabulous on my neighbor but she didn't want to pay the cost.

I've also given a low rating to something that I kept because it wasn't worth the effort or money to send it back.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Respected Contributor

On 1/18/2014 Tique said:

I've given a five-star rating to something that I sent back. It was a beautiful ring but once I tried it on my finger, it just wasn't for me. There was no point in me skewing the rating because it didn't look good on my hand. It looked fabulous on my neighbor but she didn't want to pay the cost.

I've also given a low rating to something that I kept because it wasn't worth the effort or money to send it back.

I've done the same thing and for the same reason. I purchased a beautiful Eterna Gold wide band ring once. It was expensive but it was on easy pay and I had been watching it for a long time. I finally saw my opportunity to get it. It was perfect in every way and was exactly how it was described. I gave it a five star rating (noting that it was being returned because it was just too wide for my short stubby fingers) but also said that everyone should note the width. Perhaps someone with long, slender fingers found my review helpful.

Super Contributor

I find this thread very interesting. I felt the same as the OP, however now I see (and it makes sense) why a 5 star review was given and sent back.

Honored Contributor

I just returned a pair of D&C damask jeans. Because of the way they're cut and the size chart, I ordered up a size. They were too big. They are absolutely beautiful and well made so I immediately reordered on wait list, and gave them a five star review.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Clearly many other posters have noticed the same thing I have in reading reviews--people who had an ax to grind jumped in and gave the product in question hideous reviews--turns out they didn't read the product description so their expectations were not met. It makes the reviewer look plain silly and adds nothing to the the prospective buyers understanding of the quality of the product. On the other hand, satisfied customers don't always offer review, so it skews the results unfairly for the product.

Can't say that I have ever rated a product I returned highly. If it didn't work for me, I'd review it based on my personal experience, with whatever provisos were appropriate to the situation.

Esteemed Contributor

I think the review system forces you to give a star or it will not post.

Maybe some people get mad and give it 5 stars for spite.

Honored Contributor

I can see where you might if something was too small or too big and you misjudged the size.

Frequent Contributor

Or how about a 1-star review because the product is made in China and the reviewer says there is no way they would buy it? I actually saw that once.