Labor Day Weekend Clearance
126 Members and 8421 Guests Online

Honora

MING PEARLS PLEASE!!!!!

Started 1380989109.413 in Honora | Last reply 1381937404.99 by alice87

I had been eyeing the bronze and ming pearl jewelry for a while, off and on, and I really loved the pearls...I was hesitant because the notion of wearing bronze was new to me and I just wasn't sure if they were "right" for me. But I kept coming back and ogling the necklace and trying to find the buyers courage to just try it out...but I waited too long and now they're sold out.

I sort of wish that I could have a similar necklace with the ming pearls, and as a cost saving measure, since it would not be economical to have an entire necklace of ming pearls, then maybe a station necklace with smaller pearls in between instead of bronze, or even a graduated necklace from 8.0mm on up to ming at the bottom. That would be AWWWWWWEEESSOMMMMMMEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

What do you think? If none of that is possible, can you bring back the original ming and bronze??? I just would like to own some MING pearls please.

From Baltimore, MD....Pouting Shelly! :(

Page 1 of 1
Nadjalu1380994161.1931940 PostsRegistered 9/7/2007
Shelly, check out JTV's Genisus pearls. They are the same pearl, just branded under a different name by each company. The ming color qvc had may be scarce, as this harvest didn't have very many. But you may find one comparable on JTV. Oh, and the pearls at JTV are much better quality. :-) Hope you find what you are looking for.

Nadjalu1380995197.261940 PostsRegistered 9/7/2007
Spelled Genusis....sorry. Wanted you to find them OK.

jetts_mom13809972522618 PostsRegistered 4/14/2010

Genusis pearls are JTV's name for Edison pearls. Ming pearls refer to the Chinese Kasumi pearls. The two types are different.

You were born an original - don't die a copy.

ennui11380998643.8636531 PostsRegistered 6/22/2013
On 10/5/2013 jetts_mom said:

Genusis pearls are JTV's name for Edison pearls. Ming pearls refer to the Chinese Kasumi pearls. The two types are different.

They are both bead-nucleated freshwater pearls from China, so I don't think they are different. I think Ming and Edison are the names applied by the pearl farms.

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." ~Robert Brault

jetts_mom1381004084.9332618 PostsRegistered 4/14/2010

There's a discussion on the pearl guide about this. I'm not sure what the entire difference is yet, but apparently there is something in the pearl world. On JTV, Mark has said the Genusis were the same as Edison pearls, and mentioned Ming pearls separately. I thought they were pretty much the same thing too. Maybe it's the mollusk they're grown in?

Here's another article that discusses Ming pearls more in-depth.

Last edited on 10/5/2013

ennui11381007659.1036531 PostsRegistered 6/22/2013

There's a discussion on the pearl guide about this. I'm not sure what the entire difference is yet, but apparently there is something in the pearl world. On JTV, Mark has said the Genusis were the same as Edison pearls, and mentioned Ming pearls separately. I thought they were pretty much the same thing too. Maybe it's the mollusk they're grown in?

I've been searching and found a few references on pearl-guide ... that second article you linked seems to imply that "gonad-grown" may be the difference ... which part of the mussel gets the implant, and the type of bead used.

Edison cultivation seems to be a trade secret ...

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." ~Robert Brault

jetts_mom1381009389.312618 PostsRegistered 4/14/2010
On 10/5/2013 ennui1 said:

I've been searching and found a few references on pearl-guide ... that second article you linked seems to imply that "gonad-grown" may be the difference ... which part of the mussel gets the implant, and the type of bead used.

Edison cultivation seems to be a trade secret ...

Yeah, if it's not the mollusk, then it would have to be something in the technique/location in the mollusk. And some of those techniques are pretty tightly guarded.

They are beautifully colored pearls, that's for sure!

ennui11381010106.186531 PostsRegistered 6/22/2013

Yeah, if it's not the mollusk, then it would have to be something in the technique/location in the mollusk. And some of those techniques are pretty tightly guarded.

They are beautifully colored pearls, that's for sure!

One article I found said that South Sea and Tahitian farmers aren't too happy. And another topic said that Ming pearls could possibly be grown in a few months. So, given that one freshwater mollusk can grow 20-30-50 pearls, and one saltwater mollusk grows one pearl, and takes a couple of years, I can see why the saltwater pearl farmers would feel threatened.

Btw, I posted the question over on pearl-guide, so we'll see if anyone knows the difference.

Last edited on 10/5/2013

jetts_mom1381033742.382618 PostsRegistered 4/14/2010

One article I found said that South Sea and Tahitian farmers aren't too happy. And another topic said that Ming pearls could possibly be grown in a few months. So, given that one freshwater mollusk can grow 20-30-50 pearls, and one saltwater mollusk grows one pearl, and takes a couple of years, I can see why the saltwater pearl farmers would feel threatened.

Btw, I posted the question over on pearl-guide, so we'll see if anyone knows the difference.

I read that article as well. It's understandable that the SS and Tahitian farmers aren't any too happy about freshwater production, now that they're able to get freshies to be so like the salt waters, but with so much more nacre and higher production amounts. Plus, unlike salt water pearl production, the mollusks aren't sacrificed and instead re-cultured to produce even more. I would think it's taking some good bites out of their market share.

I'm very interested to find out if anyone would be able to give specifics as to what is different. The whole pearl creation process, whether natural or assisted by humans, has always intrigued me.

ennui11381075151.376531 PostsRegistered 6/22/2013

Plus, unlike salt water pearl production, the mollusks aren't sacrificed and instead re-cultured to produce even more.

Saltwater mollusks aren't sacrificed ... that's how you get first-graft and second-graft Tahitian pearls.

jetts_mom1381075466.8032618 PostsRegistered 4/14/2010
On 10/6/2013 ennui1 said:

Plus, unlike salt water pearl production, the mollusks aren't sacrificed and instead re-cultured to produce even more.

Saltwater mollusks aren't sacrificed ... that's how you get first-graft and second-graft Tahitian pearls.

That's true. They have figured how to do that with some salt waters. I should've specified akoyas, as I believe most of those still are not re-nucleated.

Last edited on 10/6/2013

longbow2nu­rse1381076446.4179 PostsRegistered 10/5/2013

Wow! I LOVE this discussion! Thank you gusy SOOO much for giving me a tip on alternatives! ***APPLAUSE***

ennui11381078071.756531 PostsRegistered 6/22/2013
On 10/6/2013 jetts_mom said:
On 10/6/2013 ennui1 said:

That's true. They have figured how to do that with some salt waters. I should've specified akoyas, as I believe most of those still are not re-nucleated.

I'm not sure about Akoyas, either -- but when a mollusk is no longer useful for round pearl grafting, they are used for mabe cultivation, since the mabe will be cut from the shell.

ennui11381086195.4076531 PostsRegistered 6/22/2013

I saw a response to Ming vs Edison. Apparently, the differences are quality and price. Edison's are smoother and more expensive, Ming tend to be rippled.

So, it's nothing technical. They are trade names.

ennui11381800265.1876531 PostsRegistered 6/22/2013

I see an 18" J285770 and a 20" Ming pearl necklace. Holy cow, look at the price. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

jetts_mom1381839487.0532618 PostsRegistered 4/14/2010

Pics are up for the 20" version. Looks gorgeous!

BTW, ennui - thanks for following up and checking on the names. Good to know it's just a name thing.

Last edited on 10/15/2013

VegasBusin­essWoman1381936586.613383 PostsRegistered 5/27/2013

::: listening and learning:::

WOW! This is a great discussion. Never realized there was so much to know about pearls. Thanks for the education, ladies!

alice871381937404.9617 PostsRegistered 12/27/2006

Yeah, if it's not the mollusk, then it would have to be something in the technique/location in the mollusk. And some of those techniques are pretty tightly guarded.<br /> <br /> They are beautifully colored pearls, that's for sure!

They still look different. I think there would be market for both of them.

Page 1 of 1