Super Contributor

more knee replacement questions

My surgery has been scheduled, I know many of these questions will be answered in my preadmission exam and process in a few weeks, however I am impatient. Also, I do realize that each person will have a different experience.

Did anyone take shorts to the hospital to wear during the pt? I shudder to think I will be doing exercises in that lovely little hospital gown.

Did anyone go straight home 3 days after surgery or was inpatient rehab always the next step? How long was your inpatient rehab? Our house is two story and the shower is a tub/shower combo - not a walk in.

When were you comfortable enough to start standing and preparing meals? Nothing elaborate, most of my cooking/meal prep takes less than 30 minutes now.

Is there any chance I will be able to wear heels (2", 2.5", 3") in the future or is it flats and 1" heels forever?

How long did it take to resume favorite activities like bike riding (outside!) and Aeropilates?

Thanks in advance!

Frequent Contributor

Re: more knee replacement questions

I had a total knee replacement about 5 years ago. I went to one pt class after the surgery. I did so well that I was able to leave the hospital on the third day. I had to do exercises in bed twice a day. It consisted of slowly sliding my leg, with the foot flat on the bed. I really don't remember how long it was before it was back to normal. You do have to exercise your knee every day. That's extremely important. They'll give you a list of exercises and how long to do them. My knee is doing great. By the way, there was a machine that they used in the hospital that automatically did the motions that your knee requires. We rented one when we got home at a medical supply store. The hospital also supplied a chair to use in the bathroom and a walker. It was covered by our insurance. Good luck with your surgery. You don't need to take shorts with you.

Honored Contributor

Since I live alone, I went to a rehab facility for 2 weeks after 3 days in the hospital. I wore capris everyday but you could wear shorts if you prefer. I can't imagine someone being given exercises to do on their own...never even heard of it. The exercise regiment is very strict and structured. Very important to do it as instructed. People who don't go to the rehab usually have a PT person come to their home to supervise the exercise. Don't try to rush getting back to normal. About a month after surgery, I decided to take a turn around TJ Maxx and awoke the next morning to the most horrible pain I've ever experienced. It should be a very gradual transition.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

I had a TKR in Nov. Spent 2 nights in the hospital, came home and had home health care which included PT & OT for 10 days. Then it was PT 3 times a week and luckily the facility was right across the street. I used a CPM machine at home and I loved that thing.

I was progressing very well until, through stupidity of my own, I banged my knee pretty good which caused it to swell and hurt. Now back on track.

I found 2 items that helped so much, one was a raised toilet seat and the other was a shower bench.

Just remember everyone progresses differently depending on age, health, etc. Just follow your Dr's orders and work hard at PT. Also be sure and take a pain med about an hour before your PT. Good Luck!!

Grow old my body but stay young my heart
Respected Contributor

I've had two total knee replacements; one in 2011 and the other in 2012. In both surgeries, I was in the hospital for 3 days..went home on the morning of the 4th day. Depending on what time your surgery is, they like to get you up the same day...first it's to sit up on the side of the bed..then they slowly help you stand and move a few steps.. this is only after you are out of recovery and in your own room (same day as surgery). After the first day, they have you doing therapy in the hospital, for me, it was 2x a day.

I found that the hospital gown was best..and I brought a short lightweight robe to put on over the hospital gown, if I had therapy or practiced walking in the hospital.

I was discharged home after the 3 day stay..however, part of the hospital therapy was to make sure you could go up and down stairs before you left. When home, I had a physical therapist sent to the house 3x a week for therapy..and a visiting nurse was sent 2 or 3 times a week to do a finger stick to check the coumadin level (you will have to take a blood thinner for 3 weeks after surgery.)

After the 3 weeks of in home therapy, I was given a script for out patient therapy, which was 3x a week. By the 4th week from the surgery, I was doing very well walking (mostly not using a cane unless I was going out and wanted a bit more security) and I went shopping at Costco. and used the shopping cart like a giant walker..(lol).

My suggestions to you would be: ice is your friend..use it often when you get home..if you're lucky to get a CPM machine..use it...it really helps move your knee. About 30 minutes before therapy, take your pain meds. Do everything the therapists tell you.. My knees feel like I'm 20 years old again...and, quite honestly, they feel so natural to me I can't tell they're not my own knees I was born with. Good Luck..and come back and post againSmiley Happy ........Barbara

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

It has been 3 years since my knee replacement. I took below the knee length gowns to the hospital, which worked well for me. In the hospital you will use a CPM to bend and flex your leg to start getting your range of motion back, start walking with a walker, and I was also given elastic bands to do resistance exercises. I came home on day 3 with a large dressing on my leg, and wore flannel pj's and robe home, as it was in early January. My insurance paid for a CPM machine for 2 weeks, and I used it twice a day on the days I did not do therapy. I always wore comfortable knit pants and T's, as well as tennis shoes for my outpatient therapy sessions. I was able to navigate the steps in my garage by the first week, and was on a walker before my second week. My home is one level, and with a step in shower and raised toilets, I had no problems at all with recovery. I took Coumadin for nearly 3 weeks after surgery, and my blood was always too thin. I was discharged from the hospital with my blood being very thin, and the surgeon cautioned me heavily to not do anything where I could sustain a cut. Prepping food and washing dishes was not allowed until after I stopped the Coumadin. I was stable on my feet by the first week, and was well able to get my own drinks and snacks, and I was able to do laundry. I had my surgery at age 56, and had a truly awesome experience with my recovery. My knee had deteriorated to the point my left foot turned out slightly, and made my shoes wear to that pattern. My new knee keeps my foot straight, so when I wore my old shoes, there was stress on my knee. I got rid of all my old shoes and bought new ones, which took care of my issue. I urge people to not put a new knee into old shoes. You will have to determine what heel height works for you; I personally am not comfortable in anything over 2".
Honored Contributor

Hi. Yes, wear knit shorts or capris. You probably won't be able to get pants on.

I'm just shy of 61 and here's my input.

I had my knee replaced last August. I wore Champion crop workout pants to the hospital and home. They came to just below the knee which worked out great. They were soft and comfy. I lived in shorts and capris until I went back to work.

I didn't have any bandages on my leg...just the steri-strips with a thin gauze pad over the top. But my leg was very swollen.

I had surgery on Thursday and went home on Saturday. My son stayed with me the first night but I never needed his help other than he fixed dinner for me.

I was able to walk just fine with my walker and changed to crutches after 1 week. I was down to 1 crutch for 2 weeks, then on a cane for 10 days, then free. I walked slower than usual for about a month.

I didn't shower for a couple of days but did quickie washes in the bathroom. The only reason I didn't shower was that I had to step over the side of the tub to get in. But I was getting in and out ok by Monday or Tuesday after the Thursday surgery.

Physical therapy came to my house for 3 weeks and then I went to outpatient PT for 3 more weeks.

Home nursing came to my house every 3 days to test my blood for a full month because I was on Coumadin.

Caution: I had an absolutely horrible reaction to the pain medicine. Mine was EXTREMELY RARE so don't panic. Just be aware of side effects of pain narcotics. The pain meds doped me up enough that I didn't realize what was happening to me. The doctor, nurses, and others who have had a knee replacement told me to stay on top of the pain, never skip a pain medicine dose. Well, on day 10 I was hallucinating and thinking about hurting myself. The night that Robin Williams committed suicide, I though "Yup, I get it" and that scared the heck out of me. I was in to my dr first thing the next morning and will never ever take that pain medicine again. It required some heavy duty medication to counter that reaction and I'm happy to say that I was over that about a month later.

I'm so glad I had my knee replaced!! I went to Good Friday services this afternoon and it was the first time in years that I was able to stand through the entire Good Friday gospel. I can walk my dog again. I can exercise (within reason) again though I can't jog anymore. But life is so much better with my new knee.

Regular Contributor

I had my 1st replacement 6 mo ago and the 2nd will be in 2 weeks. My doc only has you stay 1 night in the hospital and then I went home to climb stairs (I live on the 2nd floor). So I did the PT therapy session in the hospital and then went home. A friend came to stay with me the first week. I was fine getting up for the bathroom but other than the required exercise and icing, I mostly slept for the first few days.

The PT came to the house 3x per week for 3 weeks.

At home I had the walker which I only used for a few days. Buy I did get a raised toilet and was glad for that for the 1st week or so...just to not have to worry about how to get up. I also had a cane that I used especially when out of the house as I would tire quickly and the cane helped when that happened. Felt like it took me a long time before I could walk for more than 5 minutes.

Instead of coumadin (blood thinner to prevent clots), my doc has us use a machine connected to air pillow you wear on your lower legs for 20 hours per day for 10 days. After a few days when I started moving around more, wearing the motor and all the tubing was really annoying, but I was glad that I did not have to take coumadin.

Standing still (like in the kitchen to cook) is impossible..painful. It is easier to walk than stand still. I finally pulled a hi stool into the kitchen so I could sit to do some food prep. but for me I could not handle the standing still for any length of time for quite a while. You really do need some help for at least a few weeks if possible. I was not hungry so when I was alone the 2nd week I barely ate because it was too much trouble and then I got too weak.

I got off the pain medication in 2 weeks, but had a terrible time sleeping because you have to sleep on your back for awhile and I can not. My sleep problems continued for months. they have no idea why. These things are different for each person. And each week is different. You just have to be patient and wait to see what your body is able to handle. You are not in control. But you will see significant improvement each week.

It is such a strange situation in that it is a major operation but because it is a joint you must get it moving immediately and keep it moving. They do wonders with pain control but still you are stretching a sliced muscle and it is not happy. And the impact on your system is very individual. But inspite of all the inconveniences, I realized at 2 months that my new knee did not hurt at all. So by 4mo I made the appointment to go ahead to do the other knee.

Regular Contributor

When you are walking around comfortably you should be able to wear any shoes you like. This operation has not impact on the length of your leg and should not affect the shoes you wear.

I have a stationary bike at home and the PT had me use it starting the 2nd week. So the motion is great for your knee. Riding outside will really depend on you. I went back to the gym at 3mo. You will know when you are feeling up to doing the things you like again. I am not sure what Aeropilates is but you may find that there perhaps there are some movements you are not comfortable with by in general pilates is great as soon as you feel up to it.

Some people can put weight on their knee and others not. There is no harm in it but for some it does not feel right.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi redtabby,

I have recently had a total hip replacement. Different, and from what I hear, "easier" than the knee - but there are lots of things that track the same course when it comes to recovery and rehab.

I found the web site "Bone Smart" to be helpful. I looked at it several weeks into post op. I wanted to go into the operation and the immediate after effects with an open mind and purely following the advice of my physician and therapists, but I got lots of first hand info from other "hippies" on the site, when I was ready to.

Take care of yourself, and best wishes. I'm a dog lover, but I think red tabbies are beautiful!

Cogito ergo sum