Trusted Contributor

Did You Watch 60 Minutes Last Night?

I did not watch the program but the local talk radio hosts were talking about it today on their program. So maybe someone here could add more details.

Duke University has done testing with brain cancer. There was a 19 year old female (I think that was her age) who had a brain tumor. The polio virus was introduced (I'm not sure by what method) and the polio virus attacked the tumor. At first the tumor looked like it had grown, but it was larger because it was actually inflamed. However, after a period of time the tumor became smaller and eventually was gone. They're not sure if it will ever come back, as they would need more time to follow up. The FDA is about a year away from approving this treatment.

They said this procedure would probably work in other types of cancer, also.

Wouldn't this be great if this is truly an intervention that works?

Edited to add this link (sorry I don't know how to imbed it)

http://www.cancer.duke.edu/btc/modules/Research3/index.php?id=41

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Super Contributor

Re: Did You Watch 60 Minutes Last Night?

I did not see the program last night, and this is the first that I've heard of this, but it would be fantastic if this treatment is a cure for cancer. I am a 9 year survivor of endometrial cancer. I had a total hysterectomy and radiation therapy, and was lucky enough not to require chemotherapy. However, my gynecological oncologist developed brain cancer and has since passed away, a little over a year after diagnosis. I felt so bad for him and his family. Here is a man who had helped and probably cured so many patients, and nothing could save him. Sure hope that this turns out to be a successful cancer treatment.

Regular Contributor

WSfan, what a coincidence. I also am a 9 year survivor of endometrial cancer and am so grateful for every day. When I went through the same ordeal, all I could think about was the unfortunate young people who have died from cancer.

It would be fantastic if this became a true miracle cure. I had a close friend whose young husband died from brain cancer. It was so devastating with their young children.

I pray for continued good health for you.

Wismiss, thank you for this post. It is good to hear such good news. I wish I had seen the show.

Contributor

My husband died 10 years ago today from Glioblastoma multiforme which is brain cancer profiled on the 60 Minutes show. How I wish he could have tried this treatment! But donations were given in his memory to Duke so I'd like to think he helped others. He was an awesome man. Blessings to you cancer survivors!!
Trusted Contributor

I did not see this, but I will definitely look it up. No wonder Lisa Mason's husband was advised to go to Duke for treatment of his brain cancer.

Respected Contributor

DH had watched the program and repeated it to me. Strangely enough, I had just been catching up with the AARP Jan and Feb Bulletins and had read where an unnamed leukemia drug had been used to fight lung cancer.
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Respected Contributor

No matter how boring or busy my day, I can always find a way to avoid watching 60 Minutes.

Honored Contributor

We watched and yes, this has been a 10 years endeavor by the microbiologist. A book I am reading "Missing Microbes" appears to be starting out in the direction of cures for bacterial infections using "phages." Phages infect bacteria.

I thought the ingenious part of the process was using a polio virus which was "restructured" with a genetic part of the cold virus. My understanding is that the part of the polio virus that causes paralysis was deactivated by having this part of the genetic material replaced. The technology to do this was probably not available until more recently. The microbiology said he has had a 10 year "relationship" with the polio virus... now that's true dedication. I can hardly wait to read more "in depth" about the details of this process.

So, it seems to me that the scientists had the idea to do this -- and it must have taken time for the technology to enable us to do this to catch up.

There are also leukemia treatments that innovatively pass the patients blood through a panel of UV light, which kills the cancer cells. I do not know if this treatment ever made it?

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Sorry, the researcher has worked 25 years on this treatment. Here is a picture of the polio virus with part of its DNA replaced with the cold virus.

Reviewing this story up to 7:39, they are reporting that the polio virus attaches to a receptor present on EVERY type of tumor cell.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~