Honored Contributor
I have had an uncomfortable ear fullness for about a week. My right ear pops painfully once a day. I went to the doctor yesterday, and the nurse cleaned ear wax out of both ears with a water instrument. The doctor then said I had fluid and gave me a 5 day prednisone script, plus 875 mg Amoxicillian twice a day. She also told me to take Claritin D. Has anyone else had ear problems like this? It is very uncomfortable, and affects my ability to hear.
Honored Contributor

A steroid, antibiotic and antihistamine all at once. Wow. I do get fluid in my ears at certain times of the year due to allergies. It drives me crazy but I just take an antihistamine with decongestant ( I take a generic Zyrtec aka Cetirizine Hydrochloride) on those days and it clears right up. The rest of the year I just take a plain antihistamine.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

This happens usually whenever I get a sinus infection. Hope you get through it soon, OP!

Trusted Contributor

It used to happen to me when I got bad sinus infections and the doctor would prescribe antibiotics and a nasal steroid spray. The prednisone should clear up your symptoms pretty quickly. It is very uncomfortable.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Honored Contributor
Yes to all of your questions. Very unpleasant. Hope you feel better soon.
Honored Contributor
This is a given issue for me with upper respiratory infections and sinusitis. The first thing I do is start putting a drop of alcohol in my ears 2-3x a day, then take Claritin D and Mucinex. I usually see a difference in 2 days, but if not I see my doctor as I know I need antibiotics.
Honored Contributor
Thank you all for your responses. I never had problems like this until about 5 years ago. I had my first sinus infection about that long ago also. I am glad I went to the doctor, and I will be on the prednisone 5 days. Ear problems are miserable.
Trusted Contributor

An attorney friend of mine and my sister had problems with their sinuses draining into their ear canal through the Eustachian tube. It can effect your hearing, sense of balance, and introduce infections into your head. Nothing to fool around with. I hope it clears up soon. Be careful of all future sinus problems.

Honored Contributor

I had , Labrynthitis, also known as true vertigo, for over a year.. I got it after I got over a virus. My equilibrium was off and I felt like I was spinning,had to hold onto walls when walking, worsened when I turned my head to side, then back again. It was accompanied by the ear fullness. The fullness feeling continued after the vertigo stopped. I saw my doctor, but did not get antibiotics. A couple years afterwards I had an attack of it and went to the ER. They ran tests, found no infection, gave me antivert. Next day I had to go to a dentist for mouth pain. The dentist sent me to an oral surgeon who found an abscess and he took care of it. Luckily, I didn't have the dizziness afterwards, but the fullness came back for about a month.

Respected Contributor

I get this during allergy season and when I have a mild middle ear infection or inner ear infection. It happens almost every year.