Super Contributor

O/T Recovering from arthroscopic knee surgery--anyone have this done?

Was wondering if anyone might share what their recovery period was like---how long, amount of pain, when you could drive again. I had a badly torn meniscus and a few other issues repaired.

It's been a week, and the swelling is now minimal and virtually no pain, just achy. Wearing compression socks, no longer have to ice.

I ventured out yesterday and drove down the street to the grocer. Driving was easy, even though it was my right leg. But the moment I got in the store, the knee felt very fragile. I had to limp around and walk verrrry slowly.

Well, I paid the piper for this. Swelling and some pain last night, and my knee was locking a bit. Probably should have waited. I slept 11 hours.

I know some folks who have had this and they bounce back after a week, but I know everyone is different, and that each repair is unique. I haven't had my post op visit yet, and I know the surgeon at that time will give me a full report as to what he repaired.

I'm 59, and in great health, but it's clear that I will need some more time.

Grateful for any experiences you might share.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: O/T Recovering from arthroscopic knee surgery--anyone have this done?

Hi amazinggrace,

You'll probably get plenty of replies, as this type of procedure is so common these days. I've been there 3 times and would ask what your surgeon advised as far as activity was concerned. If you were within his guidelines, then this venturing out was more problematic for you then anticipated - !!! If you haven't already, I'd give his/her office a call and speak with the nurse, not medical assistant, and tell them what you indicated above.

Also, was physical therapy indicated? It is in some cases and I wonder if you might be a candidate for a 2 week stint to help you through this.

Good luck and God Bless.

Super Contributor

On 3/30/2015 sfnative said:

Hi amazinggrace,

You'll probably get plenty of replies, as this type of procedure is so common these days. I've been there 3 times and would ask what your surgeon advised as far as activity was concerned. If you were within his guidelines, then this venturing out was more problematic for you then anticipated - !!! If you haven't already, I'd give his/her office a call and speak with the nurse, not medical assistant, and tell them what you indicated above.

Also, was physical therapy indicated? It is in some cases and I wonder if you might be a candidate for a 2 week stint to help you through this.

Good luck and God Bless.

Thank you so much, sfnative. I'm seeing surgeon next Monday for post op review. He wanted to see me 2 weeks after surgery. His instructions were to move about when I felt ready. I'll prob be assigned to some PT when I see him.

Thank you for taking the time to respond--and bless you as well.

Honored Contributor

You don't mention anything about your Physical Therapy! The Physical Therapist is the one that can best access your healing progress. I have had many surgeries, but my 75 year old knees have never been an issue, structurally. I did have a bout with Patella Tendonitis, and I could not run or skate for 3 months.

I went to Physical Therapy 3 times a week for 4 weeks and then followed my exercise program in my home gym. Ask your Physical Therapist or your Surgeon these questions. A good friend of mine is an Ortho Doctor who specialties are the hips and knees. I can assure he would not attempt to answer your question without seeing you in person, it just not work that way. Best I have to offer you.

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

On 3/30/2015 hckynut said: You don't mention anything about your Physical Therapy! The Physical Therapist is the one that can best access your healing progress. I have had many surgeries, but my 75 year old knees have never been an issue, structurally. I did have a bout with Patella Tendonitis, and I could not run or skate for 3 months. I went to Physical Therapy 3 times a week for 4 weeks and then followed my exercise program in my home gym. Ask your Physical Therapist or your Surgeon these questions. A good frien of mine is an Ortho Doctor who specialties are the hips and knees. I can assure he would not attempt to answer your question without seeing you in person, it just not work that way. Best I have to offer you.

Thanks, hckynut, for your response. I see my ortho doctor next week, and he will assign my PT at that time. Will take it easier until then!

Respected Contributor

One of my close friends had knee surgery several months ago. She had a similar experience. She's 57 and in good health, but her full recovery from the knee surgery has taken longer than she expected.
Esteemed Contributor

My recovery was quick. PT is a must IMO. Good luck OP.

Super Contributor

Thanks, Silver and Lily. I suppose everyone's situation is unique!

Trusted Contributor

Have to agree with the other posters who mentioned physical therapy. I had arthroscopic surgery on my right knee and then on my left knee five years later. I had physical therapy both times and started the physical therapy within a week of the surgery. I would ask your ortho doc about it.

Hope it gets better.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

I've had two arthroscopics (one ligament and one miniscus repair) and one regular surgery (to repair the tibia). The two arthroscopics didn't seem to take a long time to bounce back but I also had PT and didn't ""push it"". The Tibia repair required a 6"" scar and took a long time to get back to normal and needed aggressive PT. But I eventually went back to Karate and none of it hampered me....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*