Super Contributor

I injured my big toenail about 6 months ago. It turned black and blue and when it started healing, the damaged part started to lift off of the new toenail coming in underneath.

It's caused me a lot of issues because none of my narrower shoes fit because of that toenail raised about 1/2 inch from where the toenail should be.

It's now growing out but still attached on one side. I can lift it up (I know it sounds gross) and the new toenail is underneath, but it's still pretty attached on one side. I don't want to tear it off and reinjure anything, but it's driving me nuts as I still can't wear my walking shoes or good shoes that I own (only sandals). I had to go out and buy all new walking shoes and a pair of semi-dress shoes in wide widths. I normally wear B width or narrow! I have a job interview next week and only have my wide Clarks (lower heel) to wear. It's a nice shiney croco leather look, but it still is aggravating.

Anyone ever have this issue with a damaged toenail growing out? I would love to know how long it takes and your experiences. I don't want to go to a podiatrist because my insurance right now (being unemployed) is very expensive. I think it's almost ready to come off, but it's driving me nuts!

I soak it every morning in epsom salt to keep it softened and soothed, but I'm dying to wear all my shoes again.

Super Contributor

I must be the only one who has ever had this issue. 78 views. Oh well. Hope it never happens to the rest of you.

Esteemed Contributor

I recommend u go to a podiatrist who will treat it.

Honored Contributor

i'm sorry this happened to you. I've only had bruised big toe nails - causes it to turn white and eventually it will grow out. Even that takes a year or so. But I could still wear my shoes.

Respected Contributor
If your new toenail is almost grown out have you given any thought to having a pedicure? The tech can get in there and pull out the ingrown toenail. (I had a similar problem myself). Hope this helps
Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Super Contributor

I know it's a matter of time, but it sure takes a long while. It would cost me a $200 office visit to see the podiatrist, so can't do that.

I'll keep waiting and hope it falls off in the shower soon.

Thanks everyone.

Contributor

My hubby had this and went to podiatrist. He removed the toenail (the new hadn't really started to grow yet.) Told him it would not hurt--wrong! It throbbed bad, according to him) for a good number of days. He had to be very careful wearing a shoe. Wore a pair that had ample toe room. It took a few months for the new one to grow back and gave him some solution to paint on every day to help prevent fungus. It looks pretty normal now. I wonder if you could cut the part that is unattached? Don't know if that would help. Good luck!

Trusted Contributor
On 3/27/2015 Apple Head said:

I must be the only one who has ever had this issue. 78 views. Oh well. Hope it never happens to the rest of you.

I JUST started a thread about this about 1-2 weeks ago when my injured toe nail fell off...

Honored Contributor
"Apple Head", Have you been to a Podiatrist? If not, that would be my suggestion. I would think that doctor would be able to do something to help you with this problem. I know what I have done many times with my big toe(black toe)injuries, but I ain't gonna suggest you do the same. It is down right gross.
hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor
I had this happen multiple times, if you can't afford the podiatrist, I would try a good pedicure as long as you know the tech. But, many won't touch it....so what you are doing is correct...try snipping it very gingerly with a small sterile scissor...that's what I did ....but if it is not ready, just wait, soak and it will fall off