Super Contributor

How long **should** a hip implant last?

I had both my hips replaced less than 10 years ago and I'm worried that the right implant is wearing out. My symptoms are exactly the same -- groin pain and thigh pain extending down to my knee. It could be a knee going bad (I sure hope not) but I'm also afraid that the implant may be wearing out.

It's my understanding that they're supposed to last about 15-20 years; my doctor told me that they can replace a worn-out implant once but not twice. So if after less than 10 years my implant is done, that means if the 2nd one wears out, I'm out of luck. And I'm 65; if I live another 20 years (and I come from a long-lived family), that could mean I could be stuck with a painful hip for a long time.

I'm going to see my doctor next week but I'd welcome any input anyone here has to offer.

PS: I should also add that I do realize that the treatment for hip replacement is probably a LOT different than it was just a few years ago. When I had my first replacement, they had me on a walker for about 6 weeks. When I had my other hip less than a year later, I was told that if I could put weight on the hip, I could dispense with the walker. I hope that's a good omen for me now.

Respected Contributor

Re: How long **should** a hip implant last?

It depends on the material that the implant is made of, your activity and probably other factors. I believe the material is the biggest factor. The doc will be able to answer your question because he knows what type of implant he used and he will know its longevity. Best wishes to you.

Honored Contributor

My Mom had both of hers done in 1984 and 1985. She just had one done again in 2011. The parts wear out I guess. But it was a much easier and faster surgery/recovery from the 80's to 2011.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

A good friend of mine is an orthopedic surgeon that specializes in knee and hip replacements. He will tell you individually specific and the answer to that will vary by individual and also by the materials used in a hip replacement. Your best source of information and answers would obviously be from your doctor and if he is not an orthopedic surgeon he would more than likely refer to one that specializes in this type of surgery
hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

OT--- but I was just watching a show on the funeral business

Did you know they remove and recycle hip joints and knee replacements after cremation? While sifting through the ashes.

I didn't !

Valued Contributor

On 3/24/2015 nomless said:

It depends on the material that the implant is made of, your activity and probably other factors. I believe the material is the biggest factor. The doc will be able to answer your question because he knows what type of implant he used and he will know its longevity. Best wishes to you.

ITA~I worked on a post op floor for many many years as an RN. It used to be a big surgery with a fair amount of complications. But, with that said; they would wait and the patients were typically older than now. I know some implants are made with titanium. That's a very strong long lasting metal. I would recommend if it were someone I knew to get at least two opinions. Ask: How many do you do in a month? How long have you been practicing? What's your ratio of positive to negative outcomes? Are you board certified in orthopedic surgery? Also ask questions about the anesthesiologist. That's hard these days with mostly same day admissions. But, try anyway and research the hospitals anesthesia team. Then think about the hospital. Is it right for you and your needs? Is the hospital JACHO certified and is it a Magnet Hospital? Ratio of patients to RN's? What's the physical therapy and sub acute care like? Surgery is a big deal, any surgery. Take your time if it's not an emergency. Do research online about the doctor and hospital. Has he/she had any or how many malpractice suits? By the way; JACHO stands for, Joint Commision, on Accreditation of Healthcare Organzations. It's often now referred as just, "The Joint Commission" in many areas. There are also State by State bylaws and inspections. I hope the info helped and gives you a bit more info. Being empowered as a patient is 50% of the recovery! Good luck to you.
Super Contributor

I hear positive thoughts, meditation and acupuncture do wonders for healing the physical body.

Valued Contributor

On 3/24/2015 MalteseMomma said:

{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}OT--- but I was just watching a show on the funeral business

Did you know they remove and recycle hip joints and knee replacements after cremation? While sifting through the ashes.

I didn't !

NO! PLEASE TELL ME THATS NOT TRUE!! These implants and other devices all have serial numbers. I can't believe a modern day hospital in this country would do that! Maybe for research for med students/surgical residents to practice on a donated cadaver? But, I just can't believe that's happening! We...Doctors, PA's, Nurses ALL take a version of the Hippocratic oath. First sentence is: "first, do no harm". To ME, that's like a vow, a sacrament. My vision of health care professionals is quite spiritual. It is a privilege to help another human being in such a way! And, it takes a special individual to be one of the good ones!
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/24/2015 Crisso said:

I hear positive thoughts, meditation and acupuncture do wonders for healing the physical body.

All the positive thoughts in the world are not going to heal a worn out hip. However, it will help in the recovery.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/24/2015 Gemspirit said:
On 3/24/2015 MalteseMomma said:

{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}OT--- but I was just watching a show on the funeral business

I didn't !

NO! PLEASE TELL ME THATS NOT TRUE!! These implants and other devices all have serial numbers. I can't believe a modern day hospital in this country would do that! Maybe for research for med students/surgical residents to practice on a donated cadaver? But, I just can't believe that's happening! We...Doctors, PA's, Nurses ALL take a version of the Hippocratic oath. First sentence is: "first, do no harm". To ME, that's like a vow, a sacrament. My vision of health care professionals is quite spiritual. It is a privilege to help another human being in such a way! And, it takes a special individual to be one of the good ones!

When they say "recycle", they mean they send the part to a recycling center and melt down the metal do it can be recycled and sold for industrial purposes. Otherwise, the metal would end up in a scrap heap or junk yard. They don't put the deceased person's hip into someone else.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.