Honored Contributor
Everyone at my gym seems to be getting sick with the worst flu...vomiting,diarrhea and they say it is really bad for about four hours.after that it calms down and mostly leaves you tired and drained for a couple of days.This is the longest flu season that I can remember.
Honored Contributor

Re: Is the flu still out there?

Yes. I'm in Ok & they said on the news it's still around here & would probably be around through April this year. They also said if you already had it you can get it again since it's a different strain now.

Super Contributor

dex I think flu is RESPIRATORY & not usually GI..........maybe a stomach virus is going around?

Honored Contributor

Wow then it can return in September or October when the little guys go back to school.long season of misery this year.nightowlz...my son lives in Ok too and has been visiting me in Wa and as I type is on a plane returning home.He loves Ok and doesn't plan to move back our way so I guess when DH retires we will move there too.
Respected Contributor

There isn't and has never been one strain of flu and "the flu" never really "goes away". It's more prevalent during the cold weather months, it's highest Oct through May, but people come down with influenza throughout the year. It's just that far fewer people do and some of those who have it, think it's a stomach virus or a summer cold. There are many different strains of the flu and the annual flu shot does not protect us against every strain out there. Another thing is that when you get sick, you don't know if you have the flu unless you go to your doc for a rapid flu test.

Super Contributor

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/symptoms.htm

Influenza Symptoms

Influenza (also known as the flu) is a contagious respiratory illness caused by flu viruses. It can cause mild to severe illness, and at times can lead to death. The flu is different from a cold. The flu usually comes on suddenly. People who have the flu often feel some or all of these symptoms:

Fever* or feeling feverish/chills

Cough

Sore throat

Runny or stuffy nose

Muscle or body aches

Headaches

Fatigue (tiredness)

Some people may also have vomiting and diarrhea, though this is more common in children than adults.

* It's important to note that not everyone with flu will have a fever.

Flu Complications

Most people who get influenza will recover in a few days to less than two weeks, but some people will develop complications (such as pneumonia) as a result of the flu, some of which can be life-threatening and result in death.

Honored Contributor

O then I should have said stomach virus...growing up when you had a stomach virus we called it the flu and if you had the flu we called it a cold.That must be a Canadian thing I still carry over.
Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone for setting me straight...so if I had a choice I think I will opt for the flu over the gastro illness...just saying.
Honored Contributor

Influenza and gastro are still making the rounds here in southern WV.
Honored Contributor

I think it's run its course around here. I'm not hearing of any new cases.