Respected Contributor

Attn: Ladies who've had KNEE Surgery

When your knee first started giving you problems, did your knee swell up and make it difficult to walk? Did the pain shoot down your leg to your calf? Did the swelling become hard (as opposed to "soft", which would be fluid accumulation)?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Re: Attn: Ladies who've had KNEE Surgery

For me personally, the answer would be no to your questions. I suffered with pain and a tight, tense feeling in the knee, but never had issues with swelling. However, my doctor insisted on "drawing the fluid off my knee", which I did not think was even there, and what he pulled out was barely visible in the syringe, so fluid was never a problem for me.
Trusted Contributor

My answer to swelling as no,just pain all the time.Had the injections,and then had both knees done.Best thing I ever did.

Respected Contributor

No swelling. Just God-awful pain and the inability to bear weight. It started one day after going up and down 20 stairs five times in a day. Long story short ~ I tore the meniscus in two places. However, I babied the knee for a few weeks, went to the ortho, got x-rays and a cortisone shot. A week later had an MRI. Waited another 2 weeks before having an arthroscopy because we were moving my dad into senior living. Dr. said I had significant arthritis and doing all the stairs was the final nail in the coffin. My knee will never be the same. He warned me of this. I live with mild pain and lots of stiffness.
Occasional Contributor

Yes, the pain went down my calf as well as all over the knee. There was some swelling but the pain was the worst part and it went on 24/7. I didn't go to the doctor for about three weeks and he fooled with it for another three weeks. Finally referred me to an ortho who specializes in knees. MRI revealed a macerated (shredded) meniscus and a partially ruptured Baker 's cyst. Two days later I had arthroscopic surgery which was a complete success. He also did a lateral release which allows my knee to track properly but was unrelated to the meniscus issue.
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Rina,

I've had 4 knee surgeries and never had swelling. When it came to my right knee, I did have pain radiating down almost to my ankle. This pain was was very pronunced. The cause of MY pain was a meniscial cyst the size of a walnut, which was soft and pressing on nerves. (This cyst was inside the joint, so did not present as a swelling.)

However, if you're having what you've describe, get on the phone tomorrow and make an appointment with your physician, telling them that you have a "hard mass in your knee joint."

If they're not able to see you for several weeks(keep that appointment), go to urgent care tomorrow - Monday. I say this because a hard mass in the knee is rather uncommon. (60% of my professional life was spent working in Ortho.)

Please do this tomorrow.

God Bless - Rebecca

Honored Contributor

No swelling, just lots of hurt in the knee.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Another of those "medical posts" that makes me clutch my head and rock back and forth in my chair. Good heavens, Rina! Whatever symptoms other people may have experienced, what treatment they've received, how things have turned out, or whether they think theirs might be anything like yours......it's obvious that you have developed a significant knee problem, either from an injury, wear and tear, or even a disease process! Stop playing "match my symptoms" and "help me guess my diagnosis" on bulletin boards and see a doctor for exam, diagnosis, and appropriate treatment options.

And yes, I've had two total knee replacements. My symptoms included pain, swelling, and decreased walking ability.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/22/2015 GoodStuff said:

Another of those "medical posts" that makes me clutch my head and rock back and forth in my chair. Good heavens, Rina! Whatever symptoms other people may have experienced, what treatment they've received, how things have turned out, or whether they think theirs might be anything like yours......it's obvious that you have developed a significant knee problem, either from an injury, wear and tear, or even a disease process! Stop playing "match my symptoms" and "help me guess my diagnosis" on bulletin boards and see a doctor for exam, diagnosis, and appropriate treatment options.

And yes, I've had two total knee replacements. My symptoms included pain, swelling, and decreased walking ability.

Why did you find it so very necessary to be incredibly rude to the OP?????

There's already a topic going regarding your rant. Why don't you go over there and complain?

There are enough people in this country right now being rude and untruthful. Must you?

Trusted Contributor

On 3/22/2015 sfnative said:
On 3/22/2015 GoodStuff said:

Another of those "medical posts" that makes me clutch my head and rock back and forth in my chair. Good heavens, Rina! Whatever symptoms other people may have experienced, what treatment they've received, how things have turned out, or whether they think theirs might be anything like yours......it's obvious that <em>you</em> have developed a significant knee problem, either from an injury, wear and tear, or even a disease process! Stop playing "match my symptoms" and "help me guess my diagnosis" on bulletin boards and see a doctor for exam, diagnosis, and appropriate treatment options.

Why did you find it so very necessary to be incredibly rude to the OP?????

There's already a topic going regarding your rant. Why don't you go over there and complain?

There are enough people in this country right now being rude and untruthful. Must you?

My comments may have been direct, but they were not rude. And certainly not "untruthful". People who have concerning medical symptoms need to see a doctor, not troll for opinions and advice on bulletin boards. No one here knows OP or her health and medical history........and no one can see her knee or is trained to evaluate her symptoms online. Your comments are unnecessary and without merit.