Regular Contributor
Recently rushed my 26 year old daughter to emergency after she complained of numbness/ tingling in both arms and lips along with chest discomfort. She was working on her computer when it happened. She was working from home but was not "stressed" over what she was doing. Her symptoms came on unexpectedly with the numbness and tingling of the arms occurring first , followed by numbness of the lips, she felt a heaviness in her chest and when faint when she stood, I think her shortness of breat and clammy hands were a result of the anxiety that overcame her as the symptoms lingered. There was quite a wait in the emergency room, so by the time the doctor saw her it had been over 2 hours, however the symptoms persisted but just not as severe, Echocardiogram , chest X-ray and labs came back ok, so he ruled out a heart issue . We got no definitive answer other than it could be stress related or allergic reaction. She had not eaten anything new and was not working under stressful conditions or on anything that caused her anxiety at the time, Does anyone have any experience of the same symptoms.? And/ or any knowledge of what might be the underlying cause? Her thyroid and glucose levels were also normal , Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you,
Trusted Contributor

Re: Numbness in hands and lips

It would be wise to take the information from the ER and discuss this with her Primary Care Physician.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Super Contributor

She should definitely be discussing this with her doctor. Especially if she takes any medications regularly. For example, every time I try to take daily Topamax for my migraines, I have the same symptoms as your daughter. But, many medications can cause similar symptoms.
Respected Contributor

If it were only numbness in hands and lips, I'd say it could be a food allergy or sensitivity. This happened to me after eating too many strawberries - I really ate way too many over the course of a few days. They were in season and particularly delicious. My lip and tongue got swollen, 1 eye swelled too. And the my palms and bottom of each foot itched to the point I had to go out and sit in the cool pool water.

But the chest heaviness part is scary. Not sure but if your dr can't give you an explanation, maybe get another opinion.

Respected Contributor

OP--Scary. I had an attack like that in my 20s. It was finally diagnosed as anxiety/panic disorder. I take Paxil every day now. She should definitely check back with her PCP.

Respected Contributor

I would consider this a diagnosis of exclusion (ruling everything else out), but she could have had a panic attack.

They can come out of nowhere and can seem really serious and scary. They can mimic a heart attack or neurological problems

It can happen when a person is under stress, although NOT necessarily at the moment the symptoms appear.

People can experience things like dizziness, feeling like passing out, shortness of breath, heart racing, palpitations, tingling, numbness, feeling a sense of unreality or feeling "crazy," coldness, heat, etc. It is usually VERY scary.

However, those symptoms can occur in serious physical issues too. Something to consider in the mix.

Hyacinth Smile

Super Contributor

Absolutely follow up with a Dr, but I agree it sounds like a classic panic attack. These attacks can happen even if you aren't consciously aware of being stressed.

Honored Contributor

Panic attacks can definitely sneak up on people and appear out of nowhere, even if they don't think they are stressed right at that moment. It is, for lack of a better description, kind of cumulative thoughts that are just under the surface. It is often not clear what triggers an event. The lip numbness sounds like hyperventilating, the very first thing most people do when having a panic attack, and it will certainly cause lightheadedness and dizziness.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I cannot believe she waited 2 hours before seeing a doctor. Patients with chest pains always get priority and are seen right away. At least that has been my experience.

When will she be seeing her regular doctor?

Contributor

Hey. I'm sorry to hear about your daughter and hopefully you hear answers soon. I'm 27 and recently having some numbness too which I know is not stress related. Stress can cause weird things, but if your daughter truly believes it is not numbness then I recommend not accepting that answer and seeing other doctors. I don't want to scare you, but she's at the perfect age for MS symptoms to start popping up. I would get MRI'S done. If you go down that path then please please make sure you know the strength of the MRI machine first. I was unaware the differences and my MRI only was 0.7 T wheras it should of been a minimum of 1.5 T so it was a total waste. I wish y'all the best of luck and health.