Trusted Contributor

Mix equal parts of hydrogen peroxide with water in a spray bottle. After showering, spray nails, being sure to spray under the nail at the top. Let dry thoroughly before putting on socks / shoes.

This will dry your skin, so I make sure I moisturize after the toes are completely dry.

I had used prescription nail fungus medication and it took forever and a day and very little progress toward having healthy nails. I have used this mixtures for about two weeks and progress toward eradicating the fungus is very noticeable.

I hope this works for you.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

I battled toe nail fungus on one toe (on and off) for a few years. I found many of these home remedies worked initially but they never got rid of it completely. (it would reappear within a short time) I've now been fungus free for 2 years. I simply gave up trying to treat it. (my nail was never deformed, just a bit white/yellow in the corner)

I hope your improvement continues until it is gone.

Honored Contributor

I used distilled white vinegar and it worked great. That was some 10+ years ago and it never came back. Just put a drop or two at the nail bed twice a day (be consistent about this!) and it grows out clean. It's not an overnight remedy, but then that would be an impossibility.

When I had it happen I researched online and found this remedy. I read all kinds of complaints about getting rx meds and them not working AND being expensive. This is an extremely inexpensive solution AND it works. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

What worked for me when all else failed over a period of many years and a good podiatrist was Footlogix mousse and Vick's Vapo-Rub applied daily to clean feet.

Respected Contributor

Could I ask a question, please. How does one get a nail fungus? I have been practicing yoga for a year and wonder about how sanitary it is to walk around barefoot...can you develop warts or get a fungus if the floor is dry? So far I have not had any problems.

I am so glad this works for you wismiss. Thank you for sharing!

Super Contributor

Vicks Vaporub. Just dab a small amount with a q-tip under, on and around the nail bed at the first sign of white or yellow discoloration. Works like a charm. I have to do it about every 2 to 3 months.

Valued Contributor

Well I am up for trying all of these remedies. My fungus isn't terrible, but it is starting to deform one of my nails. Yuck!!! Thanks for the ideas.

Trusted Contributor

wonderfulworld: This is from Mayo Clinic:

Factors that can increase your risk of developing nail fungus include:

• Being older, owing to reduced blood flow, more years of exposure to fungi and slower growing nails
  • Perspiring heavily
  • Being male, especially if you have a family history of nail fungal infections
  • Working in a humid or moist environment or in a job where your hands are often wet, such as bartending or housekeeping
  • Wearing socks and shoes that hinder ventilation and don't absorb perspiration
  • Living with someone who has nail fungus
  • Walking barefoot in damp communal areas, such as swimming pools, gyms and shower rooms
  • Having athlete's foot
  • Having a minor skin or nail injury or a skin condition, such as psoriasis
  • Having diabetes, circulation problems, a weakened immune system or, in children, Down syndrome

I never had a nail fungus until I went to a podiatrist, and I think I may have picked it up from the tools not being sterilized well enough. My friend got hers from having a pedicure and the tools not being sanitary. So, there are a lot of ways to get one. Also, if it isn't taken care of, it can lead to athletes' feet. Mayo's site also said that if you get one cleared, it is not unusual to have a reoccurence. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

I used those cheap slip on sandals from Wal-Mart when I went to the Y for swimming classes. Does your yoga room floor get disinfected after every class? I would privately discuss your concern with your instructor. I can't imagine that you are the only one that has wondered about this.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Respected Contributor

I use vicks vaporub on my horse's hooves to discourage fungal growth. At this time of year, the pasture is muddy and wet due to snow melt. This isn't a good thing for hoof health and I like to stay ahead of the battle.

Respected Contributor
On 3/19/2015 wismiss said:

wonderfulworld: This is from Mayo Clinic:

Factors that can increase your risk of developing nail fungus include:

• Being older, owing to reduced blood flow, more years of exposure to fungi and slower growing nails
  • Perspiring heavily
  • Being male, especially if you have a family history of nail fungal infections
  • Working in a humid or moist environment or in a job where your hands are often wet, such as bartending or housekeeping
  • Wearing socks and shoes that hinder ventilation and don't absorb perspiration
  • Living with someone who has nail fungus
  • Walking barefoot in damp communal areas, such as swimming pools, gyms and shower rooms
  • Having athlete's foot
  • Having a minor skin or nail injury or a skin condition, such as psoriasis
  • Having diabetes, circulation problems, a weakened immune system or, in children, Down syndrome

I never had a nail fungus until I went to a podiatrist, and I think I may have picked it up from the tools not being sterilized well enough. My friend got hers from having a pedicure and the tools not being sanitary. So, there are a lot of ways to get one. Also, if it isn't taken care of, it can lead to athletes' feet. Mayo's site also said that if you get one cleared, it is not unusual to have a reoccurence. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

I used those cheap slip on sandals from Wal-Mart when I went to the Y for swimming classes. Does your yoga room floor get disinfected after every class? I would privately discuss your concern with your instructor. I can't imagine that you are the only one that has wondered about this.

Thank you for all of that info! No they go from one class to the next. I have seen people wear ped type socks to their mat and remove them I think that is what I will do. The yoga instructors never wear anything on their feet nor do most students. Your post made me kind of wonder.

My SIL got toe and fingernail fungus from her nail shop where she got mani and pedis..