Trusted Contributor

Forum members seeking medical advice

I see many posters asking for advice on a host of health issues. They should be talking to their health care provider and not asking for free, non-qualified advice. Some of these posts could indicate some serious problems. It's one thing for people to ask for recipes, but health care questions should be moderated, before someone becomes seriously ill, or worse.

Regular Contributor

Re: Forum members seeking medical advice

I think some just want the support of others who are going through similar issues. Not that they wouldn't also seek medical advice. I know when I went through breast cancer, one of my prime areas of support was on a BC forum where members would share experiences. I learned things from their experiences that I was able to share with my doctor...which then enhanced my treatment.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/17/2015 Karsa said:

I think some just want the support of others who are going through similar issues. Not that they wouldn't also seek medical advice. I know when I went through breast cancer, one of my prime areas of support was on a BC forum where members would share experiences. I learned things from their experiences that I was able to share with my doctor...which then enhanced my treatment.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/17/2015 Karsa said:

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

For a lower acuity, chronic matter that is being managed at home, additional information is useful to consider. For more serious matters, support is wonderful to have. So I think it is OK to have these topics.

Respected Contributor

On 3/17/2015 Karsa said:

Exactly right, Karsa. When we face medical issues, it's good to listen to our doctors, get second opinions, seek additional information from trusted sites and reading and seek interaction with others having the same issue. I suppose there are people who are wanting help from a forum like this, but most often one or more commenter tells the OP to "see a doctor!" Communicating with people facing similar issues can really help people not feel so alone.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it is for support from others. Perhaps someone has experienced the same thing. And in many ways the encouragement is like a medicine, not a cure, but just a bit of emotional support that goes a long way.

I was introduced to a website here that has changed my life. Myfitnesspal With determination and support from others I am on a weight loss losing streak and all my meds are now history. I am grateful for that. I was on my way to what could have been serious health issues and I am now hopefully in the right direction.

Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes it is a comfort to hear from others who share your pain, and maybe a word of encouragement. I for one like hearing other options or ideas and this could help you communicate with your health care provider next time they see them. Sometimes it is desperation reaching out maybe just to get the thought of what your going thru out there and just maybe they won't be so scared and then they realize they are truly not alone. I will send any advice or experience there way and a hug and world of encouragement when I have no advice to give.
Super Contributor

I think it's a good thing to bring up health issues. Discussing health issues helps to compare notes and bring to light options that one might not have known about. I know it has helped me to research options to my benefit. I would hope that all posters realize this forum is not a substitute for professional advice.

Respected Contributor

On 3/17/2015 happygal said:
On 3/17/2015 Karsa said:

Exactly right, Karsa. When we face medical issues, it's good to listen to our doctors, get second opinions, seek additional information from trusted sites and reading and seek interaction with others having the same issue. I suppose there are people who are wanting help from a forum like this, but most often one or more commenter tells the OP to "see a doctor!" Communicating with people facing similar issues can really help people not feel so alone.

So true!!!