Frequent Contributor

Been dealing with it for years. I have tried everything, from fiber to yogurt. Added more water,exercise more,nothing works anymore. I can actually go 5 or 6 days without going. So, I made an appointment with the doctor. Hopefully they can help.I'm sure its from pain medication I took for my FMS. I now take nothing, just try to deal with the pain.I ever stopped my calcium pills because it seemed to make it worse. Anyone eles dealing with this problem????

Trusted Contributor

Re: Constipation, sick of it.

Do you eat vegetables? I would suggest raw cauliflower and steamed broccoli. Also, prunes.

Honored Contributor

On 3/16/2015 seaside shopper said:

Do you eat vegetables? I would suggest raw cauliflower and steamed broccoli. Also, prunes.

Gastro told my hubbie to eat at a good amount of dried fruit every night, it seems to help him alot.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

A complete workup with a gastroenterologist is a must. My son had issues and we discovered some hidden medical problems that were remedied with diet and OTC products. He is fine now.

Frequent Contributor

Yes, I eat lots of vegetables and fruit. I just don't have the urge to go anymore. Have an appointment tomorrow with the doctor.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/16/2015 twokats said:

Yes, I eat lots of vegetables and fruit. I just don't have the urge to go anymore. Have an appointment tomorrow with the doctor.

I'm sorry that the vegetables and fruit are not helpful. Wishing you well as you consult your doctor.

Honored Contributor

Same here....doctor call it a lazy colon......I take magnesium, a minimum of 400-600 mg a day, works like a charm......there is no way I can eat the 'recommended' amount of fruit and veggies.......

Respected Contributor

calcium almost killed me!! I had to use milk of magnesium here and there - when I started calcium pills and when I quit smoking especially. Haven't needed any in a long time but slowly started to add more fiber to my diet.

Respected Contributor

Have you had your thyroid levels checked? Constipation is a symptom of low thyroid, I believe. Had a neighbor with this and she complained of constipation constantly. Do see a doctor and I hope it gets sorted out. I guess you've tried the usual remedies like adding powdered fiber to a glass of juice (metamucil?)

Regular Contributor

Our Gastro Dr. said to take Citricel daily (we take it at night) sugar free one, and I also eat Kiwi and strawberries the seeds help to keep things moving well. Most fruit does. If you are eating fiber make sure you drink enough water to help the process along, the fiber needs liquid to help flush things out. I don't eat red meat at all and stay away from fried foods, usually eat a lot of veg and fruit, an apple a day and oranges are good too for you. Glad you're going to the Dr. and have it checked out. I also notice emotions do play a big part in your digestive system, whether going too much or not enough. I like to calm my nerves if need be it with doing meditation or doing something enjoyable, crafts, going for walks reading. We go for a 45 minute walk every night (if not longer) and it helps keep things moving and you get a good nights sleep as well. I hope you can get relief.