Valued Contributor

do you think it is OK for a relative who is staying with you to drink alcohol if you do not drink ?

I don't drink, I have nothing against anyone who does, I just don't do it. My brother is staying with me for awhile to get his life in order. I'm pretty sure he is an alcoholic, because he can't seem to stop and gets upset with me because I don't like him drinking. He drinks either a bottle of wine, or two large size beers a night. He says there is nothing wrong with it and thinks It would do me good to start drinking! I think because it is my house and I don't want him to drink he should respect my feelings. Am I wrong? Do you have an opinion? TIA
Esteemed Contributor

Re: do you think it is OK for a relative who is staying with you to drink alcohol if you do not drink ?

It shouldn't be about who is wrong, or who is right.

You just said that your brother is trying to get his life in order - which I take to mean, he is probably under some stress right now.

This is not the time to press the issue.

No offense but you should care more about your brother and his welfare right now than some rule you have about your alcohol in your home.

Perhaps when he gets straightened out, he can cut back or stop drinking. Right now, I wouldn't insist that he quit - he needs your emotional support.

Honored Contributor

Re: do you think it is OK for a relative who is staying with you to drink alcohol if you do not drink ?

Alcohol is fine. Cigarettes are not.

Honored Contributor

I believe a guest needs to be respectful of the host's wishes however I think in your case the issue is not that he drinks but that you feel that he drinks to excess. If he does have an issue with alcohol he is not going to be able to stop just because that is what you desire. If he staying with you to get his life in order at sounds like counseling might be helpful to him but he has to be open to receiving it. Depending on the severity of his issues you may need to give him an ultimatum but he has to abide by certain guidelines while staying with you or find other lodging.
Super Contributor

Persephone, I hope your dear brother gets the help he needs. That is very kind of you to help him out. You are a good sister.

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like he is a loser, get him out asap!

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Trusted Contributor

If you don't want alcohol in your home, that's your right, and your brother (or any guest) should honor your wishes. I don't know if your brother is an alcoholic or not, but he is inconsiderate and disrespectful to disregard your wishes, and you shouldn't allow him to stay in your home on those terms. Tell him you want your home alcohol free, and if he isn't willing to abide by that, he needs to find another place to stay. Pronto.

Super Contributor

i am not making any judgments because it is your house and your brother. However, I do think he needs your emotional support. He may not be an alcoholic. I rarely drink alcohol myself, so I would not know how much drinking makes a person an alcoholic. Would you be O.K. if he went out to drink?
Honored Contributor

Well, you might have a big problem with your brother staying with you. If he is indeed, an alcoholic he can't stop drinking just because you asked him too. He must have a drink to keep himself "normal."

He will only stop if he wants to and he will probably need some help with that.

If he is not an alcoholic, but just likes a drink every night, he should respect your wishes while in your home.

The fact that he gets upset when you mention his drinking is a clear red flag that he probably has a drinking problem. You might try to sit down with him and nicely ask him if there is a problem...don't be judgemental and don't mention it to him while he has been drinking. If he needs help with his problem..help him get to meetings.

An adult who has to move in with his sister to get his life in order is more than likely having many problems, alcohol might only be one of them.

My best friend took in her brother last year when he moved back to PA from FL. It was supposed to be temporary situation just until he found a job. Well, he had a drinking problem and he smoked like a chimney too. He didn't find a job and my friend ending up supporting him and providing money to him for his bad habits. If she didn't give him money, he invited his friends back to her house where they partied all day and left her a big mess and a stinky home. With money in his pocket, he went to bars and stayed out all day.

Finally,after a year, she ran into a hardship herself and had no extra money to give him. So she had to put him out, which was no easy task. My friend and her siblings had a hard, difficult childhood and she was very close to her brother. She still feels so bad about what she did and had to do. He did find a job when he really had to at the last minute.

You may want to set up some guidelines with your brother...a contract with house rules..and if he wants to stay with you, he will have to agree to abide by the rules.

The contract should be simple, short and sweet and to the point. If he were to rent an apartment, there would be rules too. If he doesn't agree, well then you have a big choice to make about your and his living arrangements.

I wish you and your brother the best.

Honored Contributor

On 3/14/2015 GoodStuff said:

If you don't want alcohol in your home, that's your right, and your brother (or any guest) should honor your wishes. I don't know if your brother is an alcoholic or not, but he is inconsiderate and disrespectful to disregard your wishes, and you shouldn't allow him to stay in your home on those terms. Tell him you want your home alcohol free, and if he isn't willing to abide by that, he needs to find another place to stay. Pronto.

ITA!