Super Contributor

A new article out today on a study has found evidence that high levels of Vitamin D3 can cause cardio attacks. I am taking 2,000 IU a day on advice from my doctor. I am 69 years old. The new study says I should only be taking 400 IU's daily at my age. I am stopping taking the 2,000 IU's and will only take it once a week. Hope this finding helps others out there taking Vitamin D.

Respected Contributor

Re: New findings on Vitamin D3

Would you please provide a link to the study? Thx

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

Who wrote the study? In what journal did the study results appear?

We need a lot more information here. This simply amounts to panic mongoring...

Honored Contributor

I really don't think you should cut down until you've spoken with your doctor. It isn't wise to make that decision on your own, especially after only one study. You could be doing more harm to yourself NOT taking the amount your doctor suggest than the slightly increased risk of heart attacks by taking that higher amount.

Honored Contributor

On 3/11/2015 sfnative said:

Who wrote the study? In what journal did the study results appear?

We need a lot more information here. This simply amounts to panic mongoring...

yes, all great and important information to know, especially before making such a leap to change up something your doctor has advised you to do.

Super Contributor

I was diagnosed with low vitamin D levels. Was on a prescription D for a while, and now take 5,000 IU daily, along with calcium/magnesium supplement. My knee, foot, and leg pains disappeared. Foggy thinking cleared. I feel so much better. I cannot believe how much better I feel.

I would never stop taking this vitamin unless my personal Dr. gave me a good reason to stop.

Honored Contributor

Dr Andrew Weil, who I absolutely trust says you can take up to 10,000 IU daily safely.

For most of us taking 400 IU daily is the same as taking none at all. I take 3000 IU daily.

Respected Contributor

I was tested and found out last week at my dr. appt. that I have low vitamin D level of 14. My dr. advised me to take anywhere from 3,000-5,000 Vitamin D daily. My levels will be retested in July. I'm sticking to his advice and will be interested to see whether the levels go up when tested in July.

Respected Contributor

Take what your doctor tells you to take! Studies are studies, from a clinical stand point, studies don't mean anything. For all you know, that study consisted of 12 subjects. I'm vitamin D deficient, my body doesn't metabolize vitamins well. At my endocrinologist's suggestion, I take 4000 iu a day of D3 and there's another 1000 that I get from my Calcium Citrated supplements and another 500 that I get from my multivitamin. My doc advised me to disregard anything I might read on the internet (he knows me well) about 400 iu of vitamin D3. I don't know about the study you mention but I do know that the 400 iu requirement was increased to 1000 iu for middle aged and elderly women. As we age, vitamin d absorption becomes a problem and women in the north don't get enough sunlight for 6 months out of the year to make any difference at all.

Trusted Contributor

How can you decide what amount to take unless you know exactly what your levels are? And if you are taking 2000 a day, based on advice from your doctor, talk with that doctor before making any changes. If it makes you feel better take a copy of that article to the doctor when you discuss what you should take. He/she can better interpret how any new research may affect your specific situation.

I am almost 65 and my levels stay extremely low unless I take at least 5000 IU per day. My levels are monitored every six months to a year.