Super Contributor

Is it ok to ask Dr about several problems at one appointment?

I have a dermatologist appointment in a couple of days and I wonder if it's ok to ask about several problems during one appointment. I would like her to check my scalp to see if there is any reason why my scalp has been hurting and I've been having a lot of shedding. I would also like her to examine the brown spots in my face to see if anything can be done. I would also like her to examine a few dark freckles as I am fair skinned and lastly I would like her to examine my toe as I believe it to have fungus. Is it proper to ask her to check these things for me? Thanks.
Honored Contributor

Re: Is it ok to ask Dr about several problems at one appointment?

She should do a full body scan once a year, but if you think it's going to take up a lot of time you could ask about two appointments worth. If there is something to be removed, she may have you come back to do that on a different day. Make sure that you bring in ALL RX and OTC products that you think might be causing your shedding and/or fungus.

Honored Contributor

On a visit to my doctor (medical) I went in for one reason but asked him if he had time to go over a couple of other things with me....he said Yes....he said he had a light day so it was not a problem....

Esteemed Contributor

I make list of everything for my GP.

When I see my Derm I mark the spots with a pen so I don't forget something.

Honored Contributor

All your problems seem to be skin related so I would not think twice about calling everything to her attention. The doctor may not address all problems at the one appointment, but I really don't see why not.

Trusted Contributor

When you scheduled the appointment did you give a reason? I would think it would be ok to discuss several issues with a dermatologist. It's not as if you're going in for a scheduled pap smear and wanting to discuss your bronchitis.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Super Contributor

On 3/9/2015 adelle38 said:

When you scheduled the appointment did you give a reason? I would think it would be ok to discuss several issues with a dermatologist. It's not as if you're going in for a scheduled pap smear and wanting to discuss your bronchitis.

Lol. I did mention my scalp to the lady taking the appointment. Should I call them tomorrow and let them know that I have more issues than just my scalp or just make a list and mention them all when I get there?
Respected Contributor

Maybe call the office & tell them what you would like to discuss & ask if there will be time (If you only scheduled to ask about your scalp, for instance, they would schedule 10 mins. Scalp & toes-15 mins). If you just scheduled for a skin check up, I would just go in & bring up all matters & they can schedule more appointments, if there is a need for them.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't understand why you would even hesitate to address all 4 issues with her while you're there. But since you have qualms about it you might want to do as Dusty1 suggested and call. You could just say ""I've made an appointment to have....whichever concern you mentioned when you called.....looked at and am just wondering if I can have.......mention the other 3 things......looked at as well while I'm there or do I have to make another appointment for those?"". You'll get an answer and if you need to make a separate appointment you can do it while you're on the phone and then you won't have to be worrying about it between now and the day of your appointment.

Honored Contributor

On 3/9/2015 AlleyCat said:
On 3/9/2015 adelle38 said:

Lol. I did mention my scalp to the lady taking the appointment. Should I call them tomorrow and let them know that I have more issues than just my scalp or just make a list and mention them all when I get there?

That sounds like a good idea.

I always make a list when I have to see the doctor - or if I bring a family member.