Honored Contributor

Has anyone had an EMG (also known as a Myogram) and how painful was it

I am asking this because I asked for a specific neurologist and now I am getting the runaround and being pushed off to a different neurologist who I don't care for. When I asked about the testing I was told the pain is minimal. If anyone cares to share their thoughts I would be thankful. I trust those of you who have had the testing done. Thanks for your input.

Super Contributor

Re: Has anyone had an EMG (also known as a Myogram) and how painful was it

Are you talking about when they wire you up and then send electric current through you. As in trying to determine carpel tunnel?
Super Contributor

Butterfly, I just re-read my reply and it didn't come off quite as I intended. I was actually trying to determine if what I had is what you are talking about because I forgot the name of my test. Mine mught have bee an EEG instead of an EMG. Sorry for any confusion.
Respected Contributor

I stupidly allowed them to do that to me. I had ulnar nerve compression and the doctor said that I needed to have a nerve test. It was very painful, especially when they were testing my hand. I will never consent to that test again. All it did was confirm what they thought was wrong. I have a normal tolerance for pain. It may depend what they want to test and what it will show them.
Trusted Contributor

for me it was like torture time. horrible

Respected Contributor

You should ask the neurologist to do it first while you watch so you can be sure the pain is 'minimal.'
Respected Contributor

I have had 3 in the last 10 years. I have a high tolerance for pain. I found it painful in my ankle area, not that much in my legs. A little in my arms. Asked if he ( my neuro) could stop for a minute and he did. If you are uncomfortable already not using your neuro, insist on making an appt specifically with the doctor of your choice. Everyone has a different tolerance level. Don't go into with a negative attitude. You will be ok. The test is not extremely long and then it's over. Good luck and stay well.
Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Respected Contributor

I had one. I probably have to go have another one. They are not a problem at all. They made me giggle more than anything else.

It seems "horrible" but as far as medical procedures go, I'd rather have a myogram than go to the dentist for anything.

Regular Contributor

I had it done on both legs and one arm. I wouldn't call it torture or terribly painful, but it was unpleasant.

It's done in two parts. The first part consists of something along the lines of a stun gun applied to the areas being tested. The doctor uses it to take measurements to determine how well your nerves react to it. some of the shocks feel rather strong. For the second part, the doctor inserts a thin needle into various places and then has you apply pressure (not to the needle) by flexing the muscle it's inserted in. It's done one needle (and muscle) at a time. I only found a few of those bothered me - the one in the muscle by my thumb was bad.

I had it done in order to confirm that neuropathy I've still got from chemo didn't have any other causes. I most likely would decline if it was recommended again for that purpose. If it was to diagnose something that had unknown causes I might do it, but not to confirm something. If it's something you really need to have, I'd say it's bearable. Remember that if it gets too uncomfortable, the doctor will stop.

There are videos on youtube that show how it's done, although they did manage to demonstrate on patients that don't really show any kind of reaction. Good luck with it.

Trusted Contributor

I had it done years ago. I was having pretty bad nerve pains in my hands. I had some kind of repetitive injury, due to what I had been doing at the time, but it eventually resolved on its own.

The test basically confirmed what the doctor was thinking-that some of the nerves were being compressed in my arms, and were causing the nerves in my hands to flare-up.

The test was mildly painful for me, but I did alright with it.

From what I can remember, I think that I just had my arms and hands tested. I think that I wore a sleeveless blouse so that I didn't have to change out of it, unless necessary.