Respected Contributor
Is anyone familiar with Healthgrades.com? I am trying to find a doctor in my area but I wasn't sure how reliable this web page is. Thanks.
Respected Contributor

I think it's better to ask a friend/co-worker for recommendations, but that's not always possible if you're new to an area. I've often wondered about Healthgrades.com myself.

Regular Contributor
I've been in healthcare my entire career... All the information on healthgrades and other similar websites are reporting data that is at least 2-3 years old, which means a lot could have changed both positive and negative. For those of us in healthcare, it's frustrating, as it's often not a realistic depiction of what is current. Recommendations from friends or those who are knowledgable are always the best way to choose. Good luck!
Esteemed Contributor
It is an excellent source. I work in the healthcare industry.
Esteemed Contributor

Join the Yahoo Group for your community and ask there.

My BFF's doctor got scathing reviews. Turned out, they were from a competitor.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor
On 3/1/2015 HonnyBrown said:

Join the Yahoo Group for your community and ask there.

My BFF's doctor got scathing reviews. Turned out, they were from a competitor.

That's what I'm afraid of, you never know how legitimate the reviews are. Thanks for the info.

Respected Contributor

I managed a CVT surgery office that Healthgrades said was graded #1 for CVT in our area. I never saw anyone from Healthgrades in our office. Doctor said if you pay them, they grade you! It was all done through the hospital where we were all employed.

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Esteemed Contributor
On 3/2/2015 redwingsgal said:

I managed a CVT surgery office that Healthgrades said was graded #1 for CVT in our area. I never saw anyone from Healthgrades in our office. Doctor said if you pay them, they grade you! It was all done through the hospital where we were all employed.

Yes this is true, they are like an advertising agency for Drs. That said, I did find my new Dr on the site, and I'm very happy with him.

I didn't pay to much attention to the grades, but looked at the Dr profiles. Where they went to school, what their hospital affiliations were, advanced degrees, etc, as well as personal info like age,nationality, etc.

The Dr I picked ( again, thrilled with him ) was one of the few I saw that had actually taken the time to fill in optional info, like their practice philosophy, procedures performed, etc. He was also one of the few that had a photo posted and the only one I saw that made a personal statement to potential patients. He said " I treat my patients like family, and I love my family"

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Valued Contributor

I retired 6 years ago and my provider information is still on healthgrades. My husband's internal medicine doctors passed away from cancer and his information is still on healthgrades. I believe in asking around to get a recommendation.

Regular Contributor

While it may give you general information, you don't know the person who posted, whether it was a competitor or just a disgruntled person, so it's hard to rely on that information. Best thing to do is get a referral from a friend who's lived in the area for a while. Always take with a grain of salt anything posted on the internet. You never know the true motives behind the words.