Frequent Contributor

After suffering with eye problems for the past month, a misery which I've never experienced, I was diagnosed with chronic dry eye. My eye dr walked in and could tell I was miserable. I'm diabetic and apparently it's common in diabetics. Like we diabetics don't have enough to deal with!! I've felt like I was punched in eye and puffy & pink. Can't wait to feel better. Does it get better? Is it a daily battle? TIA

Frequent Contributor
I have dry eyes related to an autoimmune condition. I used artificial tears during the day and GenTeal eye gel at night., both helped some. Within the past month, I've had punctual eye plugs inserted in my tear ducts. They are used to block drainage and keep moisture on the eye. This has helped significantly. I no longer use the artificial tears and occasionally use the gel. Restasis was an option, but I was getting tired of using drops. So, it does improve with treatment. Hope you get relief soon.
Super Contributor

I'm sorry you are suffering with this. I've had dry eyes for about 8 years with a recurrent corneal erosion. It's very painful and requires constant attention. I don't have diabetes or Sjogren's, but I do have Hashimoto's hypothyroidism (no Dr. has made a connection to this).

I have tried warm soaks and eyelid massage, eyelid wipes, lubricant drops during the day, ointment at night, Omega-3 supplements, tear duct plugs and Restasis. The best drops are Refresh Celluvisc - no preservative. The Restasis supposedly improved my tear production but I didn't notice an improvement with it, nor with the tear duct plugs.

My situation seems to be pretty severe, hopefully yours isn't as bad once you get it under control. I hope you feel better!

Contributor

Hi KringleB...I too have an autoimmune condition and have had dry eye for some time. My eye doctor placed me on Restasis. I was on this for about one year and thought it wasn't doing anything for me, so I stopped it for about 3 months. During that time, my eyes burned, were red and felt like I had sand in my eyes. I then went back to the eye doctor and he again placed me on Restasis. I guess it really did help me and I didn't realize it. Eye drops and GenTeal did nothing for me. You're not alone with this problem. Hope things work out for you....blessings!

Honored Contributor

Andrew Lessman's Ultimate Eye Support has made a world of difference for me. I went from needing drops constantly to never using them at all.

My eye doctor wanted me to get tear duct plugs but the temporary ones I tried did not help.

Valued Contributor

I have this.

Respected Contributor
I, too, have dry eyes. My ophthalmologist sells a vitamin created specifically to combat this problem. It works very well. The only problem is he has ordered 3 per day, which is very hard on the stomach. I find I can only take one per day, but it does help.
Frequent Contributor

My optho has a supplement he wants me to take but it has cod liver oil in it and I'm vegan so I'm in search of something vegan that will be comparable to help. I'm tired of being uncomfortable with this and I admit I've been unbearable to live with!!!!

Super Contributor

There are vegan Omega-3 supplements which might be an alternative to cod liver oil. Maybe your Dr can guide you on this.

Trusted Contributor

I suffer from chronic dry eye caused by my RA. I am prescribed Restasis but I don't find that it helps any more than Artificial Tears; and the Restasis is much more expensive, and in my opinion a total rip-off.

Member Since 11/20/2008