Honored Contributor

How Long Do You Sleep & Is It Good For You?

I'm all over the place. Sometimes I can't get to sleep, sometimes I can't stay asleep, and once in awhile I sleep for 10 hours.

A new study has come out that says people who sleep more than eight hours a day might suffer some ill effects.

"A full eight hours of sleep -- we know it's good for your day, your emotions -- your health. But if you often get much more than this believe it or not, it's not so good. You could find yourself at an increased risk for a number of health problems."

Full report here:

http://7online.com/health/study-too-much-sleep-correlated-with-health-risks/535497/

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Re: How Long Do You Sleep & Is It Good For You?

I'm lucky to get eight. Buster would never allow us to get ten hours.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

5-6 hours at most.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

On 2/26/2015 snickster said:

5-6 hours at most.

same here.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Hi NoelSmile I can't remember the last time I slept through the night. Like you, I either can't get to sleep at all, or I get to sleep, but wake up every hour and a half or two hours all through the night.

Seems like I sleep with one eye open. It's been that way ever since I was the victim of a home invasion, almost 30 years ago. While I eventually got over the fear, for the most part, it was like it just became my regular sleep pattern and I've never been able to change it.

It's now complicated as I age by Rheumatoid Arthritis and my most recent diagnosis of COPD.

In the words of the fabulous Bette Davis "Getting old is not for sissies"

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

Same here, 5-6 hours which includes a bathroom run and I constantly feel tired. If I can, I will take a nap. 4:00 has become my new 6:00. Makes for a very long day. At least I know I am not alone.

Respected Contributor

I think everyone needs a different amount to feel their best. My optimal amount is and always has been nine hours. For example, if I need to get up at 6am, I need to go to bed by 9pm. I usually don't have trouble falling asleep. I usually fall asleep within a couple minutes. But I do sometimes have trouble waking up during the night, usually when I have something stressful going on the next day. Also, I tend to get distracted in the evening, and I don't always get to bed early enough. I've been working on no computer/tablet after 8pm and tv off at nine. Smiley Happy Not always successful, though. Smiley Happy
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

On 2/26/2015 Preds said:

I'm lucky to get eight. Buster would never allow us to get ten hours.

I'm assuming Buster is a dog

Honored Contributor

On 2/26/2015 beckyb1012 said:
On 2/26/2015 snickster said:

5-6 hours at most.

same here.

That used to be me, too.

Honored Contributor

On 2/26/2015 betteb said:

Hi NoelSmile I can't remember the last time I slept through the night. Like you, I either can't get to sleep at all, or I get to sleep, but wake up every hour and a half or two hours all through the night.

Seems like I sleep with one eye open. It's been that way ever since I was the victim of a home invasion, almost 30 years ago. While I eventually got over the fear, for the most part, it was like it just became my regular sleep pattern and I've never been able to change it.

It's now complicated as I age by Rheumatoid Arthritis and my most recent diagnosis of COPD.

In the words of the fabulous Bette Davis "Getting old is not for sissies"

Hi Bette! I totally understand about the residual effects of a home invasion. A terrible thing for you to have gone through. and I'm so sorry it happened to you.

I didn't know you also had serious health issues, RA alone would most likely cause sleep disturbances, I know lupus does. Not sleeping is par for the course for us. I learned a long time ago not to make morning appointments.

I hope today is a good day for you Smile