Super Contributor

This is odd, but I have arthritis in my right ring finger. I can't get size 7 rings on that finger like I used to. I can barely get them off and the finger looks swollen a bit at the knuckle. It's the only finger that gives me that problem. I can't remember doing something to it. I lift weights, but that shouldn't hurt it. I used to crack my knuckles as a kid, but doctors all tell me that that doesn't cause arthritis and no other finger has the issue.

Anyone have any helpful hints on this issue? I'm sad that many of my smaller rings won't fit that finger anymore. I literally cried today trying to get a band ring off the finger. Now the skin around the finger is raw and sore from all that tugging.

One finger... seems so weird.

Honored Contributor
I have osteoarthritis in three of my fingers on both hands,and believe me the least of my concerns is how I get a ring on those fingers.
hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

try vaseline or soap to get the ring off.

Super Contributor
On 2/25/2015 hckynut said: I have osteoarthritis in three of my fingers on both hands,and believe me the least of my concerns is how I get a ring on those fingers.

Sir, for someone who is suffering from something similar, your snarly comment doesn’t do a thing to help someone looking for advice. I didn’t deserve such bullying. I own a few of my dear grandmother’s rings that were given to me because we shared a love of gemstones and jewelry. I cannot afford to get all my rings resized. Those rings are special to me because it brings my grandmother close to me when I wear them. If you find that something to make fun of enjoy yourself! I was kindly seeking some advice for a painful disorder, and instead of offering some help, you chose to bully a fellow poster who kindly asked for some assistance.

Respected Contributor

Gee, AH, don't tear the skin. That could make it worse. Try Windex in a pinch. The doctor did an Xray for my hands that showed OA just in the thumb joints. Referred me to an occupational therapist who made splints and it helped. That said, it could be other things, too, like gout. In the meantime, can you alternate with your left ring finger or is that one swollen, too? I wonder.

Honored Contributor
Hcknut that might not seem a problem to a man but she would like to continue to enjoy her jewelry even if her health is getting in the way.Now what is wrong with that?we all need to find ways to continue to enjoy all the things in life even when life throws us a challenge.
Honored Contributor
dex, someone with severe arthritic fingers should be more concerned about the .incapacitation of their fingers. If they are not? All swelling is best reduced by: ICE and elevation. ETA: dex, a little too strong even for me. I unfortunately think as a male and could have chosen a better way to respond to the OP.
hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

It's not unusual for osteoarthritis (if that's what this is) to start in one finger. One thing that helps me is wearing compression gloves at night and doing finger exercises with soft balls. I don't know that the swelling is going to get better as far as enabling you to wear your rings. Perhaps you can try wearing them on a different finger.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Super Contributor

Interestingly I have osteo in that same finger and it swells, and one of the knuckles has become quite large. I have found that consuming overly salted food almost immediately makes the swelling worse, so perhaps this might help you in terms of diet.

I am so sorry that you are having difficulty wearing your rings. I know that they can become like a part of you, and when off the finger, feels strange. Do speak to your doctor....s/he may suggest a mild anti-inflammatory should the condition worsen.

My best to you.

Respected Contributor

Good grief. Some people are so easily offended. I saw nothing wrong with hckynut's comment. He has been very open with his medical issues and knowing how kind this man has been over the years, I didn't read anything rude into his reply at all.