Honored Contributor

Throat Problems Could Use Some Advice

Two or three weeks ago I came down with something. It turned into bronchitis. I never coughed so much in my life and it was a very productive cough (if you know what I mean). I went to the doctor and she put me on a z pack type antibiotic. I got over the bronchitis and or at least that terrible coughing but I now have white spots all over my tonsils and a throat that, while not red or sore, feels like there is something always in my throat. It's almost a feeling like a strained throat or vocal chords. No fever. I cannot talk for very long or I start losing my voice and that strained feeling in my throat comes back again. Actually it really never goes away. Any clues as to what it could be? I have been dealing with this for a week to a week and a half and it just seems to be getting worse.

Honored Contributor

Re: Throat Problems Could Use Some Advice

white spots= strep {#emotions_dlg.scared}

I had super enlarged tonsils, did 5 antibiotics in 6 weeks, and couldn't get rid of the tonsillitis. I had to have a tonsillectomy. Mine were so swollen they were almost touching, with stuff all over them (TMI I'm sure, but they looked like boogers stuck on my tonsils). But I was miserable- swollen glands, tired, sore throat, etc. I could tell that I had a raging infection.

If you have laryngitis, take anti inflammatories, rest your voice (whispering strains it more than talking), drink plenty of fluids and perhaps take a decongestant.

Honored Contributor

Yes, white spots is a sign of strep. Get to the doctor ASAP and get a culture. If it IS strep, you can pass it on to anyone you come into contact with. Strep is a bacterial infection, so expect another course of antibiotics if that's what it is. Fever may or may not accompany strep, but the white spots are a real indicator. I used to get it a lot as a kid and my dad got really good at reading the spots.

Sorry you had bronchitis. I get that a few times a year and it's always unpleasant. Glad that's at least over!

Honored Contributor

Thank you. I will call my Dr. tomorrow. I have never had strep but my daughter has and it was always accompanied by a very sore and raw throat with a fever. Since I have neither... I just didn't think it could be strep. I appreciate your input.

Honored Contributor

It could also be oral thrush, a yeast infection. Thrush is caused by the same fungus that causes a yeast infection... elsewhere. It usually happens when a person takes an oral steroid asthma inhaler (Advair, Flovent, for example) but sometimes antibiotics can cause an imbalance and a yeast infection. I use oral steroids and always have to rinse my mouth afterward to prevent thrush.

Respected Contributor

i've had strep and it would be hard to go for 1 1/2weeks with no treatment. maybe no fever or headaches because you had been on meds. good luck. i hope it will be a quick recovery.

Honored Contributor

Back in the mid 80's I had strep that lasted 6 weeks, and then developed pharyngitis. My throat was absolutely raw from coughing so much, and so hard, and I could barely whisper. This illness is what sent me to the ENT who not only cleared me of strep and pharyngitis, but also diagnosed my food allergies. Cough syrup didn't touch my coughing spasms, but this doctor prescribed a tablet with a horrible taste, that quelled my coughing fits immediately---the active ingredient was guafenaisin, and the first time I took OTC Mucinex, I remembered that taste immediately. Best wishes to you with a diagnosis and successful treatment.
Honored Contributor

Thanks, ladies. I hope it is not strep as I have been around my elderly parents due to several emergencies this week. One was in the hospital and the other's blood sugar was dropping into the high 40's and low 50's. I had nodules taken off my vocal chords years ago and that is kind of what it feels like. I have also had a nasty ulcer in my esophagus and that is something I hope I never get again. Anything with the throat tends to scare me a little. I am glad to hear it could be something minorSmile

Trusted Contributor

From past experience, when my daughter was younger, white spots on tonsils don't necessarily mean strep. They can be the result of the body fighting infection.

But, a doctor needs to check it out to be sure.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

I called my Dr. today but they were out of the office....so tomorrow for sure if they can work me in.