Respected Contributor

Hello I was hoping to find out if anyone has done rolfing (10 session program) and had success with it??

My 1st session was today with a certified rolfer (advanced trained) and I am hopeful this therapy might be what I have needed to help me and all my chronic back/neck/hip/leg pain.

I didn't know what to expect today and was very nervous! It is different then getting a deep tissue massage which I had done many times trying to get pain relief.

{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Had Rolfing Done??

I have not, but my friend has. She had polio as a child and has one leg shorter than the other (and two very different sized feet) and this has contributed to debilitating back pain over the years. She said that rolfing was the one (non-surgical) thing that she felt made a difference in strengthening her back and keeping the pain at bay.

Frequent Contributor

There is no proof that rolfing works at all. But the thing is if you go in with and open mind even a placebo has real effect. A lot of pseudo mystic nonsense is associated with it but that can't be helped.

Respected Contributor

Wow 2 very different responses LOL! I had no idea about the pseudo mystic stuff and rolfing. I simply have tried many different things to help myself with nothing producing relief or a way to maintain a quality of life I am looking for. I ran across this on another website and did abit of reading on it and thought I could go in for a few sessions and see how it goes. Worst case senerio is I am out money (agian) and still in pain. OR this might help me get the ball going in anther direction.

Interesting about your friend lolakimono....today when he was having me walk around and then do that squat postion with my feet on the floor in front of a mirror my right hip was tilted up to high compared to the left and no matter how many times I tried not to do that I simply couldn't do that tiny movement of bending my knees forward a few inches and my hips doing that. I am aware of this hip issue....saw a sports medicine doc and was sent to pt which didn't help me at all. I see a chiro and he isn't helping it either. I have changed chiro's 3 times in several yrs and nothing is helping. Tried stretching recommend and it made my hip/leg/thigh pain just off the charts. It's like my hip is stuck in the up position. I walk off due to this and can't help it.

The rest of my back is a tight mess....I am reaching here with trying this as I feel desperate.

Honored Contributor

I had it done many years ago when I was in my 20s and I'm considering it again.

It breaks up the fascia that binds your muscles together like glue and promotes better posture.

I work out a lot, but I just turned 60 and I'm not very flexible.

Rolfing HURTS - but it helps too.

Honored Contributor

tsavorite-

My friend went to PT, which was helpful also, and then she continued to use the exercises at home. She also has a back cushion that she brings everywhere with her when she has to sit. I think that some (if not all) of her shoes also have a lift to help correct the imbalance. Like you, she was really at the end of her rope. She had lived in a small Amish community (she is not Amish) and there weren't a lot of options within a two hour driving window (which of course, was prohibitive with the back pain). When she retired "down south" she had many more medical options near the Triangle where she could try new treatments. I think she also did massage and acupuncture.

Valued Contributor

Yes, have had rolfing for years. Started with a series of 7 or 8 sessions straight and then continued, through the years, with "tune-ups" once every 4or 5 months as needed. Rolfing has literally cured what physical therapy and acupuncture and massage could not -- neck/arm/back aches/pains related to working at a computer all day, plus some knee issues related to my vigorous exercise regimes. I call my rolfer my "healer" because she truly has healed/changed my life! To the OP, I hope you have as much amazing success with rolfing as I have had.

Honored Contributor

My massage therapist does that. I used to get a massage every week. I adore the woman who does it.

However, I got to where I couldn't stand the pain any longer. My late husband and daughter would go and fall asleep.

I told the therapist, "I live for the day when I can come to you and feel so good and enjoy it so much that I CAN fall asleep".

It hasn't happened yet. I'm still trying to get my pain under control.

I can't even stand Rolfing.

Honored Contributor

On 2/17/2015 AspenGrove said:

Yes, have had rolfing for years. Started with a series of 7 or 8 sessions straight and then continued, through the years, with "tune-ups" once every 4or 5 months as needed. Rolfing has literally cured what physical therapy and acupuncture and massage could not -- neck/arm/back aches/pains related to working at a computer all day, plus some knee issues related to my vigorous exercise regimes. I call my rolfer my "healer" because she truly has healed/changed my life! To the OP, I hope you have as much amazing success with rolfing as I have had.

Do you think this will help with my lack of flexibility?

I know the concept - but back when I was in my 20s - flexibility wasn't an issue - rolfing then really made a difference in my posture.

Trusted Contributor

On 2/17/2015 annabellethecat said:

My massage therapist does that. I used to get a massage every week. I adore the woman who does it.

However, I got to where I couldn't stand the pain any longer. My late husband and daughter would go and fall asleep.

I told the therapist, "I live for the day when I can come to you and feel so good and enjoy it so much that I CAN fall asleep".

It hasn't happened yet. I'm still trying to get my pain under control.

I can't even stand Rolfing.

Annabelle, I wonder if it depends on the person. You might never like the Rolfing. I've never had it but I have never liked deep tissue massage-I'm sensitive I guess and it hurts me. I like things gentler I guess. I know people who love to get "roughed up" and feel better for it.