Respected Contributor

The aftermath of being in ICU

I have thought long and hard before posting, but I need to talk to somebody about this. Five weeks ago, I contracted "parainfluenza" and I was septic. I went into respiratory arrest in the ER and ended up on a ventilator in ICU for a week. I was kept sedated and I have no memory of my time there whatsoever. At one point the outlook for my survival was very bleak, but I made it. Once I was transferred to "the floor" I was elated that I was alive- but shaken.....especially when my doctors would tell me how bleak it had been. Four days later, I developed atrial fib and flutter: I had an emergency cardioversion that day. I was alert: the nurses were wonderful and once again, I was sedated so I did not suffer any unpleasantness. I was extremely weak, but I gained enough strength so I did not have to go to rehab: I had in-home PT and a visiting nurse. My DH and I also decided to get me Life Alert because I am alone a lot. It does give me peace of mind....but emotionally, I am a train wreck.....and I don't know why....I was overjoyed initially to be back home and engage in the mundane tasks of day to day living, but that quickly began to alternate with feelings of despondency. I cry so easily-I become moody and petulant for no particular reason. I am keeping myself in check because I don't want to say anything hurtful to my family, but I do share my feelings with them, and they are understanding.....but I feel as if I am in another world. My memory has really been altered and it's scaring me: today, for example, I completely forgot the name of my neighborhood! It took me five minutes before I could remember....I just feel so scattered. I have an upcoming appointment with one of my doctors and I plan on discussing this, but I just feel so lost. On top of everything, I am being treated for diabetes-which may or may not be a result of medication, and I have had some issues with that, but nothing terrible. Initially, I felt a real loss of control, but I quickly realized I certainly could benefit from a healthier lifestyle and I could stand to lose a few pounds. Planning what I will be eating and when I exercise does give me some sense of control, but I still feel "lost". I would love to hear from others who have been through this or who have been through this with loved ones. Thank you for taking the time to read this, Poodlepet2
Super Contributor

Re: The aftermath of being in ICU

My gosh what an experience. I don't any words of wisdom Other than it will take time to get yourself back. Medications can Cause lots of issues and you went thru so much. Try to take one Day at a time....sending good thoughts!
Esteemed Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.wub} Poodlepet, I'm so very sorry you had to endure this! I did see a post that said you were in the hospital for the flu but I didn't know how serious it was!

I was very seriously ill a few years ago. I found a small notebook was my best friend. I had some short term memory loss from the medications I was on. Sometimes I would babble and it wouldn't make sense. I took notes during my doctor visits because I wanted to make sure I was understanding what he was saying accurately later on. Also note your symptoms in your notebook to discuss with your doctor later.

Do some research on the medications you are taking. Some may produce side effects that may not have been listed on the bottle. I read those stupid mile long pamphlets that accompany and read online.

Shalom my friend, I pray for your health to be restored to you.

Super Contributor

I have heard that anesthesia sometimes causes a lingering memory loss and a feeling of being discombobulated. I don't know if the sedatives you were given while you were on the vent work the same as general anesthesia but I'm betting it does.

This all happened to you recently so I would give myself a lot more time to recover from everything you went through. I would describe it as post traumatic stress disorder.

Give it time and good luck. Gail

~~66 and owned by cats and dogs.~~
Honored Contributor

I have heard that any extended time in the hospital is emotionally traumatic, but especially being in ICU. It can cause PTSD symptoms. This might help - http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/ptsd_symptoms_common_among_icu_survivors Sorry I can't do a live link. Google ICU emotional trauma and similar articles will show up.

You are not alone and this is not unusual - I hope it helps knowing that. There are probably discussion/therapy groups for this, maybe at a hospital not too far from you. Good luck!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Poodlepet, my husband is getting over the superflu, even to the point of going to the ER because he was having trouble breathing. At one point he was so beside himself I found a fresh roll of toilet paper in the freezer. He's never had such a slow, lingering recovery. But little by little he is returning. Where he couldn't eat before, now he is fresh-squeezing orange juice and making healthy meals. He is regaining his sanity! I think the posters above make sense. And I also feel, in time, you will fully regain your faculties and control, and happiness.
Esteemed Contributor

(((((((((((((((Poodlepet))))))))))))))))))

gailchap and moonchilde are correct. Add to that, the cardioversion, and you have the perfect storm for the symptoms you are describing. Tears are very frequently a side effect/symptom of cardiac stress. Following a cardiac event lots of patients seem to "cry at the drop of a hat" for some time afterwards. Men especially have a hard time dealing with that, because, of course, men don't cry{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Please do share this with your doctor and please, don't be so hard on yourself. I would say that what you are experiencing is pretty normal, considering what you have been through.

Whatever you are feeling, give yourself permission to feel it. It really is ok.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

I was in the hospital in 2014 for three months. Two weeks in icu. All I can say is keep working on the day by day things. I thought i would never get my strength back. The funny thing is once i got home the pt worked so much faster. I still get shaken when i think how i almost died. Evebtually those feelings will be grateful and you will learn how blessed you are to be alive.
Super Contributor

I am so sorry for what you are going thru. I had a life altering illness and spent over a month in the hospital. Thankfully, I recovered with only a few residuals. I now volunteer in my local hospital with their pet therapy department. My mini schnauzer and I regularly visit the patients there. Based on my personal experience and what I have observed, your feelings are not uncommon and you are not alone. You have been thru a great deal. Definitely mention your current situation to your doctor and give yourself (mind and body) time to fully recover from the ordeal you have been thru. Yes, you were discharged from the hospital but you are not completely "healed" yet. Give it time and I am hopeful that you will bounce back - mentally - and feel better soon. I applaud you for sharing this with us...

Honored Contributor

With my first heart attack I also had aspiration pneumonia. I spent eight days and ICU, and a total of almost 3 weeks in the hospital. During my days in ICU I spent 4 days with a major artery balloon pump to help my heart and also to help clear the fluid from my lungs. Sorry I have to go now will try to put more into this later. It is a very big emotional trauma when you face life threatening problems regardless of which part of the body they happen to be.
hckynut(john)