Valued Contributor

Has Anyone Had Cortisone or Hyluronic Acid Injections for Knees

My doctor talked me today about taking either one of these injections for relief from arthritis. Has anyone had either; and if so, what's your experience been like? How painful we're the injections and did you get them from your family practice doctor or orthopedic doctor?
Respected Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Had Cortisone or Hyluronic Acid Injections for Knees

My husband did receive injections from his orthopedic doctor for a time prior to surgery. He thought the pain was tolerable but he has a high threshold. He did eventually have knee surgery but it helped him in the short run. HTH and good luck to you.

Respected Contributor

I have an appointment this afternoon with my orthopedic surgeon to discuss my options. I had an arthroscopy last June for two meniscal tears. After surgery he told me that I had a significant amount of arthritis that did not show up on x-rays or MRI. Well....my surgical knee still hurts and I have some pain in the other knee. I had a cortisone injection in September without relief. In the meantime, I developed right hip bursitis because I was compensating for the left knee. I had a cortisone injection in the right hip which helped significantly.

Stiffness is as bad as the pain. So...back to the OP. Cortisone injections are different than Supartz or Synvisc.

I worked for an orthopedic surgeon for years. Depending on the amount of joint space you have left will determine your results. Some patients that had significant bone on bone did not benefit. Some with early arthritis did well. I believe it is all a krapp shoot but, I also know that a person must exhaust all treatment prior to undergoing surgery.

Esteemed Contributor

The h-acid injections did nothing for me. Once a year, before my annual vacation, my sports med doctor injects my knee with cortisone. It's great and allows me to hike and walk all day without pain. But like Cinderella at the ball, tnhe effects wear off, in my case after a month. Nevertheless, it's wonderful to have a pain free vacation, where I can walk around all day without thinking about my knee.
Respected Contributor

On 2/11/2015 Vivian said: The h-acid injections did nothing for me. Once a year, before my annual vacation, my sports med doctor injects my knee with cortisone. It's great and allows me to hike and walk all day without pain. But like Cinderella at the ball, tnhe effects wear off, in my case after a month. Nevertheless, it's wonderful to have a pain free vacation, where I can walk around all day without thinking about my knee.

I am glad cortisone worked for you. I am hoping for the same results as we have a weekend trip planed in two weeks. We are going to Karchner Caverns in Southeast Az. and even though it is not a tough tour, I am currently really slow with movement and at times I use a cane.

Fingers crossed!

Honored Contributor

I had a cortisone shot in my knee for arthritis about 2 and a half years ago, the benefit only lasted, for me, about a week. Hope it works better for you. Had cortisone shots in my back twice, no effect at all. Everyone is different though, so it might work better for you. Oh, and I went to an ortho doctor.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

I've always heard..."if you had one cortisone injection in your life, that's one too many".

Valued Contributor

I've had several cortisone shots to my knees (sorry sidsmon Smile). The shots pinch a little, not too bad. They can offer relief for a few weeks to a month or 2, or not at all. I am scheduled for a hyaluronic shot in a few weeks. If this post is still around I will let you know my results. My advice is to try the cortisone first and see what it does for you. Don't be afraid of the pain of the injection. It is nothing if you are having constant knee pain now. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I've had cortisone injections in my knees, and they really do work. Unfortunately they don't last very long. I think it lasted a little over a month for me. I would highly recommend you go to an Orthopedist for the injections, though. They do this all the time and know the exact right spot to inject it. If they don't get the right spot it won't help at all. I've been thinking about going back and getting the injections again as my knees hurt all the time. I don't sleep well because of them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

My first cortisone injection brought considerable relief; second cortisone injection several years later did nothing. Eight months before my knee replacement, my ortho doctor suggested trying Synvisc before we talked surgery, so that I could say I had tried every relief option available. The first shot stopped the throbbing in my knee for several days, so I was quite encouraged, but that was the only benefit I felt, and that was short lived. I felt absolutely nothing from the second and third injections, so it was time to talk surgery. I do feel these types of injections work best in the early stages of osteoarthritis, and feel the main reason they did not work for me was because my condition was too far advanced, and surgery was really my only option at that point. I suffered for 13 years, and after a great experience with knee replacement, I urge everyone not to put off the surgery.