Super Contributor

Since I was diagnosed with RA recently, the doc ran a blood test for TB antibodies because you cannot be on these RA meds as they make you very susceptible to TB.

I tested positive for the antibodies but my chest x-ray shows no previous infection whatsoever. I was "exposed" to someone who had active TB.

Anyway, I have to do this vicious 12 week protocol, 16 pills weekly, taken in front of the doctor to be sure they are actually taken! I have to do this before I can take RA meds.

My question is: have any of you done this protocol? Needless to say I'm scared sh tless. One of the meds can cause severe liver damage, good thing is blood work for liver functions every two weeks. Still.... any input greatly appreciated!

thanks

Honored Contributor

Get a second opinion

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

The last time I had a TB test for employment it was positive. Then I had the chest XRay which showed no evidence of the disease. My employer tried to insist I do that protocol. However, my doctor said I was in much more danger of becoming ill from those antibiotics than I was in danger of getting TB. Having said that, I am very sensitive to antibiotics and had no underlying condition such as RA. If I were you I'd talk it over with a doctor you trust. Many people do go through the TB protocol without problems but you need to have a long conversation about all the possible problems and benefits.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Respected Contributor

I have no clue what "RA" is, but I do know a lot of people who've been "exposed" to TB, including myself. "Exposure" is exposure. So what? I don't know anyone who took 16 pills a week for "exposure" to anything. I'm unclear as to why you are taking 16 pills a week. Is it for "RA" (whatever that is)?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor
On 2/8/2015 I am still oxox said:

Get a second opinion

Excellent advice.

You're going to fry your liver ahead of RA protocol which will fry your liver.

Super Contributor
On 2/8/2015 rina33 said:

I have no clue what "RA" is, but I do know a lot of people who've been "exposed" to TB, including myself. "Exposure" is exposure. So what? I don't know anyone who took 16 pills a week for "exposure" to anything. I'm unclear as to why you are taking 16 pills a week. Is it for "RA" (whatever that is)?

Sorry rina, it is rheumatoid arthritis.

The pills are for TB, to be sure I do not develop an active case (how I do not know as I have no signs of having had it). There is a choice of 12 weeks or a 9 month protocol.

Super Contributor
On 2/8/2015 adelle38 said:

The last time I had a TB test for employment it was positive. Then I had the chest XRay which showed no evidence of the disease. My employer tried to insist I do that protocol. However, my doctor said I was in much more danger of becoming ill from those antibiotics than I was in danger of getting TB. Having said that, I am very sensitive to antibiotics and had no underlying condition such as RA. If I were you I'd talk it over with a doctor you trust. Many people do go through the TB protocol without problems but you need to have a long conversation about all the possible problems and benefits.

Yes, this is what I am afraid of. The cure is worse than the condition.

Super Contributor
On 2/8/2015 Snowpuppy said:

Get a second opinion

Excellent advice.

Snowpuppy and I am still, I do think I will call my GP tomorrow and get his opinion. My rheumo is telling me that the RA can progress very quickly so it is a matter of not doing the TB protocol and then not being able to do RA meds and having disfigured joints and pain. What a decision...

Trusted Contributor
On 2/8/2015 FATCATinCT said:
On 2/8/2015 Snowpuppy said:

Get a second opinion

Excellent advice.

Snowpuppy and I am still, I do think I will call my GP tomorrow and get his opinion. My rheumo is telling me that the RA can progress very quickly so it is a matter of not doing the TB protocol and then not being able to do RA meds and having disfigured joints and pain. What a decision...

Definitely, talk to your GP. However, your rheumatologist deals with this on a daily basis so take his advice seriously and ask about how to manage possible side effects. If possible, ask a friend or relative to go with you so you can get answers to all of your questions.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Respected Contributor

Thirty Years ago I tested positive to being exposed to TB, though I did not have TB. I was put on the specific meds. After the first blood test I was told to stop the meds because my liver was being affected. Thereafter, nothing else was done and I am doing well.