Respected Contributor

Hey ~ I have searched and searched the net for mittens for disabilities of the hand. My BIL has fingers that are curled from disease, so bad that he can't even get his hands into a pair of winter mittens. There has to be mittens out there with a zipper, so he can get his hands into them, but I can't find them anywhere.

If anyone here know of such a product, I would greatly appreciate any info on where to purchase. THANK YOU! Mistic

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Valued Contributor

Hi Mistic,

I am a knitter, and my suggestion is to find a good Yarn Shop in your area, which will give the names of good knitters who can make these mittens for you. Your request would be an easy one for a good knitter.

Valued Contributor

Wish I lived near you; I would make them for you!

I forgot to add that a good knitter could make a paper pattern of his hands and create a "custom" pattern so that each mitten would fit perfectly.

I know that several churches in our area have groups who get together to knit every week, usually for charities....you might put the word out that you are looking for a knitter, in case there are no yarn shops near you.

Good Luck.

Respected Contributor

Check out Cozy Coats of Vermont website for mittens with velcro closures--no thumbs. Best of luck to you.

Respected Contributor

Thank you for the replies. I will check out the local knitting shop, and Cozy Coats.

I live in Mennonite/Amish country, with Old Order Amish about 20 miles from me. Just sitting here thinking that Old Order have Blacksmith's who make the bridles, etc for the horses. Wondering with their equipment for sewing and repairing leathers, if one could put zippers into a pair of heavy leather mittens?

Thanks ~ Mistic

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Respected Contributor

KarenQVC ~ I just ordered a pair of the Velcro Mittens from Cozy Coats. Soon as he gets them, I will let you know how this works for him. THANK YOU!!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

65and fabulous ~ Thank you too. Going to see about a Knitter to make a pattern. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Regular Contributor

Posters are so nice to help, thanks for the mittns ideas. :-)

Respected Contributor

My BIL's mittens have been made, and shipped out. They said he should have them by the end of this week. Can't wait to find out how they work for him. The wrists have velcro, and not zippers. I think this will be even better. Thanks Again!

Esteemed Contributor

Good luck with your mittens. Once I tried Alpaca I haven't worn anything else.

Respected Contributor

KarenQVC ~ THANK YOU! My BIL received his mittens from Cozy Coats in Vermont. They were a hit! He can get his hands into the mittens, and his hands are now warm when going out. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}