Valued Contributor

Weight Watchers for Diabetics?

Anyone that's diabetic tried Weight Watchers and what's been your experience? I'm thinking of going on WW since I need to loose some weight and having a hard time. Also, it seems like any of the other kind of diets such as high protein, low or no carb would be more unbalanced and not a good choice for a diabetic. What do you think? Also, would like a brief explanation of how it works. Do I need to join and go to meetings, etc., or can I just do it on my own?

Super Contributor

Re: Weight Watchers for Diabetics?

Hi Patticakes - They do offer guidelines for diabetics and you will be more successful if you attend the meetings. I have been a lifetime member for 3+ years and I know that I am staying at goal because I still attend the meetings even though at goal weight you only have to weigh in once a month. I did try several meetings and leaders until I found the ""right"" one for me. It is a great group - supportive and the leader makes all the difference and I love to learn more new things about WW - also you get great ideas from other members. Good Luck! - Hope this helps you.

Honored Contributor

I too recommend meetings. Your leader will have the handouts for Diabetics that will help guide you in the right direction.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Contributor

WW is a great way to lose weight! I am a type 2 diabetic on metformin. I am on WW. The dr. reduced my dosage and I hope to be totally med free in the future. WW gives you the freedom to eat all foods in moderation. WW gives you the tools to know what a serving size is. Now the problem is diabetics need to watch carbs. Any charbs. Not just candy, cakes etc. Fruits, breads, grains, some veggies etc all have carb in them. Diabetics need to watch their total carb intake per meal. So, the WW program includes all foods (in moderation Smiley Wink YOU have to make the right choices (I know, I know...it is not fair!!!!!)

You can do it on line or go to meetings. I cannot attend meetings, so I do it on line. They now have 24/7 expert chat to help you. I love the program. Gives me options and lets me live in the real world. Another thing, exercise is key for diabetics. Just start walking! This will reduce your levels too.

WW has 2 ways to follow the program: PointsPlus...this is where you 'count' your daily (and weekly) 'points'. WW assigns all foods 'points'. Veggies and fruits are 0 points...so they do not count towards your daily or weekly points. THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN EAT UNLIMITED QUANTITIES!!! Yes, you can eat certain things like lettuce, celery etc pretty much unlimited but....meh!

The other plan is 'simply filling'. I am on this one. (you can change plans daily if you want!) You try and eat mostly 'simply filling' foods....lean protein,ff dairy, fruits, veggies, whole grains etc. You do not have to count points if you eat 'simply filling' foods. You only count points for foods not on the simply filling list. However, now the rubber meets the road, you eat until you are 'satisfied'. Not stuffed, but 'satisfied'. I did not know 'satisfied' and on some things (my trigger foods) I still do not know 'satisfied' but I am learning. Hard to do but so good once you get there!

You can join the ww website for free. You can get tips, recipes etc. You will not get full access unless you are a paying member.

I love the program. I hate dieting. I have come to realize that WW is now a way of life...not some diet I start to lose weight and then go off.

Diabetics need to watch carbs at every meal. WW is a great program.

I hope this helped you a little. So hard to explain. Wish we lived closer, I would love a buddy in this journey!!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Have you talked to a Diabetic Educator? Perhaps ask your MD for a reference if you have not done already. Or read Dr Bernstein's book,

Watching consumption of all carbs is the way to go and WW works with points not carbs. You could eat all of your points in junk food theoretically and still be in range.

Super Contributor

I love WW and the fact that you can eat anything; therefore, it would definitely work for you. I agree with Sunniegirl that you need to find a leader and meeting that works for you. The first meeting I signed up at was horrible. No one talked, and the leader was boring and seemed uncaring. I tried another meeting and fell in love with the leader and the nicest group of people ever. I'm up to almost 50 lbs off since July! Best of luck to you and your health!
Valued Contributor

Thanks, everyone, for the input. Great advice.

To Kushii-I, too, am a Type 2, on Metformin since Nov. 2014 and doing quite well. My numbers have been good every since then; however, still need to loose more weight and need to get better at exercise since I have arthritis as well and exercise is not always pleasant when I'm having pain. Would love to keep in touch with you either here on the "boards" or otherwise. It would be great for me to have a "buddy" as well!

Honored Contributor

My husband is diabetic. He's not overweight but I feed him weight watcher food all the time. Made from scratch.

There are incredible recipes out there for losing weight, and from what I know, weight watchers is the best way to go.

When he was diagnosed, I spent a lot of money researching diabetes recipes and buying the cookbooks. The food is pretty boring, imo, the recipes for WW are much better.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

You can also do WW online, no meetings. I have a friend who does that and has lost about 20 lbs so far.

My guess is going to the meetings would offer more support.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

On 2/3/2015 jackthebear said:

Have you talked to a Diabetic Educator? Perhaps ask your MD for a reference if you have not done already. Or read Dr Bernstein's book,

Watching consumption of all carbs is the way to go and WW works with points not carbs. You could eat all of your points in junk food theoretically and still be in range.

Yes this can happen diabetic or not. But that's not the way they intend the program to be and anyone on the program and properly working the program knows that. And if this is what one does, they aren't going to lose weight.