Regular Contributor

waiting for mammogram results-worried...

I had my annual mammogram on friday afternoon. I am waiting for my results. The tech who did my mammo said something like" results come in the mail and online or if need be we will do a call back. " Ugh- I am no stranger to mammograms- I have been having them for many years but I am still here worrying-praying I just get the results in the mail. My mom passed from this disease many years ago and this just doesn't get easier.
Honored Contributor

Re: waiting for mammogram results-worried...

Prayers to you. Waiting is the absolute worst part.

Have you checked your e-mail? My results come in through MyChart and they are generally there within 2 days, 3 tops.

I am a worrier as well and I have literally made myself physically ill because I've worked myself up over tests I've had to have done and I'm always "sure" something is going to be wrong.

Fingers crossed and please post when you get the all clear! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Occasional Contributor

I feel your anxiety. My sister was recently diagnosed and then found out it was an inherited gene. Thus we all went for testing, stress of waiting for results despite my "normal mammogram". Demanded an MRI, followed up with a biopsy of what was called a non- cancerous cyst. A day later my doctor called me at work to tell me I tested positive for Cancer. The waiting game is truly awful!
Honored Contributor

On 1/27/2015 seanoyes said: I feel your anxiety. My sister was recently diagnosed and then found out it was an inherited gene. Thus we all went for testing, stress of waiting for results despite my "normal mammogram". Demanded an MRI, followed up with a biopsy of what was called a non- cancerous cyst. A day later my doctor called me at work to tell me I tested positive for Cancer. The waiting game is truly awful!

{#emotions_dlg.sad} Sorry.

How do you find out it was an inherited gene? My sister was also diagnosed with DCIS and was told it's estrogen positive. Luckily, she had to have no follow-up treatments of radiation or chemotherapy. The chances of her getting it in her other breast even without Tamoxifen is only 12%.

The only other family history we have is my mom's sister and that was back in the early 60's.

Honored Contributor

It sounds like you are blowing this way out of proportion. Why manufacture something to worry about where it does not exist? I am a BC survivor and I march in there , get it over with, and forget about it til the letter comes in the mail. Getting my undies in a knot would not make the results any different.

Honored Contributor

On 1/27/2015 LipstickDiva said:
On 1/27/2015 seanoyes said: I feel your anxiety. My sister was recently diagnosed and then found out it was an inherited gene. Thus we all went for testing, stress of waiting for results despite my "normal mammogram". Demanded an MRI, followed up with a biopsy of what was called a non- cancerous cyst. A day later my doctor called me at work to tell me I tested positive for Cancer. The waiting game is truly awful!

{#emotions_dlg.sad} Sorry.

How do you find out it was an inherited gene? My sister was also diagnosed with DCIS and was told it's estrogen positive. Luckily, she had to have no follow-up treatments of radiation or chemotherapy. The chances of her getting it in her other breast even without Tamoxifen is only 12%.

The only other family history we have is my mom's sister and that was back in the early 60's.

You can get a DNA test done but they are expensive and once you know you are + for the gene you can't unknow it.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/27/2015 happy housewife said:

It sounds like you are blowing this way out of proportion. Why manufacture something to worry about where it does not exist? I am a BC survivor and I march in there , get it over with, and forget about it til the letter comes in the mail. Getting my undies in a knot would not make the results any different.

NOT very sensitive or understanding!!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Regular Contributor

Yes- I am a chronic worrier to begin with so this is not easy. I also took the brca test and tested negative but to me I dont even trust this anymore-I analyze the mammographers every move- facial expression to see if I can tell if there is an issue. Everytime my phone rings im beside myself. Thank you for your support.
Trusted Contributor

I KEEP TELLING YOU WOMEN TO GO TO A PLACE WHERE THE RESULTS ARE READ IMMEDIATELY BY A DOCTOR AND HE/SHE GIVES YOU THE RESULTS BEFORE YOU LEAVE.

My mother had BC TWICE and I HATE going for mammograms/sonograms. However, switching to a facility where I get the results IMMEDIATELY has helped me tremendously. There in no need to wait or go back for additional images--if you need them you will get them right away. This is one of the best decisions that I have EVER made in my life!

BTW, my mother turned 96 in October! BC is NOT a death sentence.

Regular Contributor

Well I just read an earlier post- I came here for some anonymous understanding that all women have to go through ( or should go to for a mammogram) The fact is many of us cant just march in there and not think about what the result might be. I wish I could ""not worry""-- thats not in my make up. yes brca testing is very expensive and you have to be mentally prepared for the result. In my case I was negative for the gene my mother carried- but new genetic tests exist now- so I could carry other bc genes. Anyway- thank you for those with uplifting words- it means alot.