Honored Contributor

Apparently there has been an outbreak of measles at a well-known resort/park.

The article I read noted that those born after 1957 and before ???? may need a measles booster because the vaccine given during this interval is not effective.

Is any of this true and has someone been following? TIA

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Re: Measles making a comeback?

This is coming back because New Age parents don't believe in vaccines and are putting their kids at risk.

Just get the vaccines, folks!

Ignorance about so many topics appears to be making a comeback in America.

Valued Contributor

I've recently had a booster because testing during pregnancy showed I wasn't immune. I was born in 1973. If it has been a long time since you had an MMR, it is not a bad idea to get a booster. They can also run titers to see if you are immune if you want to go through the trouble. Personally, I'd save the money and just take the shot.

Edited to say: ESPECIALLY if you live in a state that allows vaccine exceptions, notably one that is having an outbreak.

Honored Contributor

Hasn't pretty much everything made a comeback since the big influx of the unvaccinated...?

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

The majority of the people that got the measles had been vaccinated.

I think we're learning that boosters will be necessary for adults...

Super Contributor

I live in Southern California and the outbreak started at Disneyland and has spread all over the state and, of course, those being infected have not had their shots. I just mentioned to my husband that we'd better check with our doctor about whether or not we need a new measle shot at 62. This has been predicted for a very long time. We've already been dealing with whooping cough here. At one school here in south Orange County, the rate of children that have not been vaccinated is 57%!! This is not a school full of immigrants either. This is a school full of upper middle class children whose parents will not get them immunized. FInally, some school districts have taken action where , those without their measles vaccination, have been told to stay home during the incubation period. Those who say, "Well, if you have had your vaccinations , my child (who hasn't been vaccinated) won't hurt your child." Well, how about those who bring their baby (who is too young to get the measle vaccine yet) around you not knowing you've been exposed to measles. This is very serious stuff.

Valued Contributor

On 1/23/2015 Jackielee said:

I live in Southern California and the outbreak started at Disneyland and has spread all over the state and, of course, those being infected have not had their shots. I just mentioned to my husband that we'd better check with our doctor about whether or not we need a new measle shot at 62. This has been predicted for a very long time. We've already been dealing with whooping cough here. At one school here in south Orange County, the rate of children that have not been vaccinated is 57%!! This is not a school full of immigrants either. This is a school full of upper middle class children whose parents will not get them immunized. FInally, some school districts have taken action where , those without their measles vaccination, have been told to stay home during the incubation period. Those who say, "Well, if you have had your vaccinations , my child (who hasn't been vaccinated) won't hurt your child." Well, how about those who bring their baby (who is too young to get the measle vaccine yet) around you not knowing you've been exposed to measles. This is very serious stuff.

You can go to your primary providers office, or even a drop in clinic. MMR should be widely available. Quick and easy. It takes a couple of weeks for immunity to build. And you bring the most valid point yet! Those under 12 months can't get the vaccine. That is why I had to get a booster after giving birth. There is no way in h e double hockey sticks that I'd not be vaccinated with MMR if I planned to ever, under any circumstances, be around an infant while living in a state where there is an outbreak. It could literally be a matter of life and death.

Honored Contributor

Think parents quit getting the kids vaccinated for fear of another problem. We used to HAVE to get them vaccinated before the kids could even go to school. I guess now they don't have to. So, outbreak.

Super Contributor

The rate of those who have gotten the measles who were not vaccinated is 82%. Of course we all know that you can go to your primary care and get the shot but do you need another one? That is my question.

Valued Contributor

On 1/23/2015 Jackielee said:

The rate of those who have gotten the measles who were not vaccinated is 82%. Of course we all know that you can go to your primary care and get the shot but do you need another one? That is my question.

If it has been a long time, you can have titers run to test your immunity. It costs money just like the shot. There is no harm in a booster. fwiw