Respected Contributor

So distressed about weight gain.

I have gained 35 pounds since November 15th. How is that even possible? I admit, I haven't been eating the way I should, but I haven't been gorging myself with food either. In 2013, I followed and HCG diet and lost 50+ pounds. I was able to maintain the loss until this recent crazy gain. My doctor is checking my hormone levels and doing bloodwork to see if anything is wrong. Has anyone else ever experienced this? I feel horrible. I have no energy and just don't feel well. I am disgusted with myself. Any insight or experiences are welcome.
Honored Contributor

Re: So distressed about weight gain.

It is so hard over the holidays but you did it once you can do it again.

I don't know what part of the country you live in but winter can be depressing for some people.

Of course, you need to find out if it is a medical reason.

The best thing is to start eating healthy and try to get out and walk. If you can't get outside try walking in your house just so you are moving.

Don't beat yourself up because it happens to a lot of people.

I weigh myself every day (I know we are suppose to weigh once a week) and if I go up even a few pounds, I really watch what I eat till that weight comes off.

Even without a scale, I can tell in my clothes if I'm putting on a few pounds.

Pull your boots up and get back on track. Let's us know how you are doingSmile

Esteemed Contributor

I hope it's food and nothing medical. You can lose it again! It's constant battle isn't it?

Super Contributor

Can you walk? If you can just walk 40 minutes a day you can burn 400 calories.
Respected Contributor

This seems like a lot. I am glad you are looking into medical reasons. Try to avoid depression with some walking and keep a diet log so you can let your dr. know what you are eating. Good luck, we all live with something like this, so keep your chin up.

Super Contributor

Don't be disgusted with yourself. That's too much weight to gain in 8 weeks just by not eating right. There's something medically going on, proof of that is you aren't feeling well. I'm glad you're seeing your doctor. That has happened to me - both losing weight and gaining that fast and it has been a health issue both times. Wish you the best.

Respected Contributor

Thank you all. I have been doing Zumba classes for the past 2 weeks, but it is difficult with my energy level so low. I will meet with my doctor tomorrow afternoon to review my bloodwork and EKG. He will also do a physical exam. I'm usually so full of life, but recently all I've wanted to do is sleep. I will start walking outside tomorrow. Maybe some sunshine will help.
Super Contributor

On 1/21/2015 AGV said: Thank you all. I have been doing Zumba classes for the past 2 weeks, but it is difficult with my energy level so low. I will meet with my doctor tomorrow afternoon to review my bloodwork and EKG. He will also do a physical exam. I'm usually so full of life, but recently all I've wanted to do is sleep. I will start walking outside tomorrow. Maybe some sunshine will help.

AGV, if your energy levels have changed that drastically, it really won't help you to push yourself beyond what you can handle. There is really something wrong with you. I had a tick bite in early spring last year, got very sick and spent almost 2 months in bed, then another 2 months with limited activity. I would try to do my normal routine, but it just made me feel worse the next day. I'm not saying give up, just listen to your body telling you it needs some extra care and rest right now. There's nothing wrong with that. Hopefully you and your dr can find out what your problem is.

Honored Contributor

So glad you went to the doctor. The HCG diet is, unfortunately, notorious for altering your thyroid levels (just Google HCG issues). Hypothyroid symptoms are very similar to what you described...weight gain, tired. Thyroid issues can take awhile to show up on a blood test (still feeling tired but thyroid levels are 'normal'), so if your tests come back normal tomorrow, he might have you return in a month-two for a followup test. Hopefully he will be able to pinpoint the cause & get back on your feet again! Let us know what they find out, okay? Good luck.

Respected Contributor

Thanks, okiebug...I just feel so lazy. I feel like I should be doing something constructive, but just can't seem to accomplish anything. Hopefully, I'll begin getting some answers tomorrow. I really appreciate all of the responses. I'll update you after my doctor's appointment.